Do you know what Cass Elliot and Keith Moon had in common?

Road Runner

Both were in music.  Both were human beings.  I think both had hair, ten fingers, and most likely ten toes.  Both were at some time passengers in automobiles!  Surely both could read, and maybe write.  I'm sure there are other things they shared in common.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I just learned this.  It made me curious as to how many people know this fact about these two pop/rock stars, or is it common knowledge and I am just stupid.

In 1974, Mama Cass Elliot died from a heart attack at the age of 32 in a London apartment owned by Harry Nilsson. 

In 1978, Keith Moon died from a drug overdose, also at the age of 32 in the exact same apartment, still owned by Harry Nilsson.

• Heart 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, groupw said:

Or did he just make it LOOK like a heart attack and drug overdose? I knew Harry couldn't be trusted. He was friends with John Lennon, too.....

Harry wasn't there.  :)

He owned the flat and loaned or rented it out while he was out of town, which was most of the time.  I read that at first, he resisted letting Keith Moon stay there, as he thought the apartment was jinxed after Cass Elliot died.  But he eventually relented and let Keith use it.  Keith's death wasn't bad luck, though.  Obvious suicide.  

3 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I read that at first, he resisted letting Keith Moon stay there, as he thought the apartment was jinxed after Cass Elliot died.  But he eventually relented and let Keith use it.  Keith's death wasn't bad luck, though.  Obvious suicide.  

That said, I don't think you could pay me to stay there.  :D

3 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Harry wasn't there.  :)

He owned the flat and loaned or rented it out while he was out of town, which was most of the time.  I read that at first, he resisted letting Keith Moon stay there, as he thought the apartment was jinxed after Cass Elliot died.  But he eventually relented and let Keith use it.  Keith's death wasn't bad luck, though.  Obvious suicide.  

I was just attempting some dark humor. I stumbled onto Harry as a kid. Mom accidentally bought the 45 of "Turn on Your Radio" thinking she bought Ray Stevens "Turn Your Radio On". She gave it to us. We found "Spaceman" on the B side and played the heck out of it. Found other things of his I liked over the years. "Jump Into the Fire" is awesome!

• Heart 2

5 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I just learned this.  It made me curious as to how many people know this fact about these two pop/rock stars, or is it common knowledge and I am just stupid.

In 1974, Mama Cass Elliot died from a heart attack at the age of 32 in a London apartment owned by Harry Nilsson. 

In 1978, Keith Moon died from a drug overdose, also at the age of 32 in the exact same apartment, still owned by Harry Nilsson.

So who the _))((&*^^ lives in that killer apartment now? :blink:

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Keith's death wasn't bad luck, though.  Obvious suicide.  

I had never heard of Moon’s overdose death being labeled a suicide. Is that a common belief?

The official cause of death was listed on the certificate as “Clomethiazole (Heminevrin) overdose, self-administered but no evidence of intention. Open verdict.”

7 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I had never heard of Moon’s overdose death being labeled a suicide. Is that a common belief?

IIRC, he took 32 Clomethiazole pills.  I can't imagine taking 32 sedative pills at once if you weren't intent on doing away with yourself.  When they did an autopsy, they found that only about 7 of the 32 had been digested to some extent before he died.  So apparently 7 was lethal; he took 32.  Sounds like suicide to me.

• Heart 1

55 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

IIRC, he took 32 Clomethiazole pills.  I can't imagine taking 32 sedative pills at once if you weren't intent on doing away with yourself.  When they did an autopsy, they found that only about 7 of the 32 had been digested to some extent before he died.  So apparently 7 was lethal; he took 32.  Sounds like suicide to me.

He was a man of excesses. He had done a lot of cocaine that night. He probably was not in a clear state of mind nor making rational decisions.  He probably thought he would never get to sleep. 

To be honest, I’d never thought about it before. But I also never heard it stated as such.

• Heart 1