Amy is pretty damn good

Road Runner

14 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Amy is pretty damn smart

Smart? More likely gifted with a good memory. I don't think Jeopardy does too much exploration of a person's intelligence, but rather memory recall of trivia.  The closest I think it comes to "smart" are the wordplay categories. Were there a lot of those that Amy did well on?

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Smart? More likely gifted with a good memory. I don't think Jeopardy does too much exploration of a person's intelligence, but rather memory recall of trivia.  The closest I think it comes to "smart" are the wordplay categories. Were there a lot of those that Amy did well on?

You question his assertion and then support it with your last statement.  No one ever confused you with a defense lawyer, eh.

5 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

You question his assertion and then support it with your last statement.  No one ever confused you with a defense lawyer, eh.

Support? I didn't see the episode, so I was giving Amy an "out" where, if there were a bunch of wordplay categories, then that gets beyond simple memory games.  Certainly the FJ about the cemetery had nothing to do with "smarts", so not having much else to go on about that particular episode, I tossed out the possibility there was some "smarts" required in the earlier rounds.  Based upon past Jeopardy watching, I find most is of the "memory games" rather than being focused on thinking a question through.  

22 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Support? I didn't see the episode, so I was giving Amy an "out" where, if there were a bunch of wordplay categories, then that gets beyond simple memory games.  Certainly the FJ about the cemetery had nothing to do with "smarts", so not having much else to go on about that particular episode, I tossed out the possibility there was some "smarts" required in the earlier rounds.  Based upon past Jeopardy watching, I find most is of the "memory games" rather than being focused on thinking a question through.  

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...........

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

She said that her 8th grade superlative was “Most likely to win on Jeopardy.” When asked why, she said it’s because she knew all the answers on tests. Her retention of knowledge is very impressive. 

However, I’m not a fan of her debate team fraud even though it’s minor. In an earlier episode she told the story of organizing the first meeting of the high school debate team with a friend, calling herself the president of the debate team on college applications, and dropping the activity completely. Knowing how schools value that particular experience (as well as thespian club president and newspaper editor) and how competitive it is to be voted an actual debate team president, her fraud makes me wonder if she’s manipulative about other things as well.

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

50 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

She said that her 8th grade superlative was “Most likely to win on Jeopardy.” When asked why, she said it’s because she knew all the answers on tests. Her retention of knowledge is very impressive. 

However, I’m not a fan of her debate team fraud even though it’s minor. In an earlier episode she told the story of organizing the first meeting of the high school debate team with a friend, calling herself the president of the debate team on college applications, and dropping the activity completely. Knowing how schools value that particular experience (as well as thespian club president and newspaper editor) and how competitive it is to be voted an actual debate team president, her fraud makes me wonder if she’s manipulative about other things as well.

That rubbed me the wrong way too-- it wasnt funny.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/19/2021 at 8:45 AM, Razors Edge said:

This!  When I was younger, I would do some math calculation in my head and friends and relatives would say I should tryout for Jeopardy.

The problem is that my math or logic or analysis skills are virtually meaningless with categories like Opera or Modern Literature or words beginning with "R."

Teachers are taught there are five dimensions (levels) of learning.  The lowest one includes rote memory.  The highest one includes critical analysis and hypothesis.

So Jeopardy appeals to the lowest level of thinking.  That's probably why it's a popular show!

It's like the methods that have been develop to calculate the grade reading level required to understand a text. When writing political campaign brochures, advisors say to write at the 7th grade level.

On 11/19/2021 at 8:45 AM, Razors Edge said:

She kills on those, so I would tend to agree with RR that she is indeed smart as opposed to just a good memorizerer.

• Heart 1

26 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I think I was using the word "smart" as a synonym for "knowledgeable".  "Smart" is easier to type.

Anyway, the point of my previous post was that I was right regarding her ability to play Jeopardy, which was the point of the original thread.  

b693953040d9013a8c65005056a9545d

• Haha 1

On 12/28/2021 at 10:52 AM, Road Runner said:

I guess my initial analysis was pretty accurate, huh?  :D

As of yesterday:

Capture.JPG.773382999504df4bdc0870b37965ecfd.JPG

RR, where the flock is Brad Rutter?  I know he won most of his in tournament play, but he didn't even make $297k in regular play?  I guess it being a long time ago is a factor, but still!   

• Thank You 1

On 12/28/2021 at 3:36 PM, Philander Seabury said:

RR, where the flock is Brad Rutter?  I know he won most of his in tournament play, but he didn't even make $297k in regular play?  I guess it being a long time ago is a factor, but still!   

Holy crap!  Only $55k!  The day of the 5 day limit for a champion was tough!

Rutter first appeared on Jeopardy! on October 30, 2000, when the rules stipulated that a contestant who won five consecutive days retired undefeated[4] and was guaranteed a spot in the Tournament of Champions. Rutter retired as an undefeated five-day champion, with $55,102 in winnings. He was also awarded a choice of Chevrolet cars; he picked two Chevrolet Camaros. At the time, Jeopardy! awarded new cars to five-day undefeated champions. The rules were changed in 2003, before Ken Jennings' run of 74 consecutive days in 2004, which made Jennings the largest overall Jeopardy! money winner.  

• Sad 1

Amy has an excellent correct-to-incorrect response ratio. 

Ken Jennings (the GOAT) statistics:

Correct:  2,693
Incorrect:  263

approximately a 10 to 1 correct-to-incorrect ratio

Amy Schneider's statistics:

635 correct,  36 incorrect

approximately an 18 to 1 correct-to-incorrect ratio

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

• 4 weeks later...