Jump to content

I think I have the biggest headache of my career


bikeman564™
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I was going to say "Surely there is a simplified procedure" but then.. oh yeah.. "engineers".   :) 

Unfortunately no :(   just changing the name alone on documents, and how the valves are laser marked will be a lot o' work.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Leave the name the same.

Add "DBA New Company Name" (DBA - doing business as): "Old Company Name DBA New Company Name" to the legal documents.  Give the accountants an estimate of how much less it will cost to do that instead of changing all the names and the process to laser mark everything, not to mention potential QC issues in changing over the marking.  The dollar savings will capture their attention and win them over.  Then the lawyers and the accountants get to do all the work, and you can sit back and bask in the glory of having saved the company a ton of bucks for having done pretty much no work at all!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Leave the name the same.

Add "DBA New Company Name" (DBA - doing business as): "Old Company Name DBA New Company Name" to the legal documents.  Give the accountants an estimate of how much less it will cost to do that instead of changing all the names and the process to laser mark everything, not to mention potential QC issues in changing over the marking.  The dollar savings will capture their attention and win them over.  Then the lawyers and the accountants get to do all the work, and you can sit back and bask in the glory of having saved the company a ton of bucks for having done pretty much no work at all!

Using s DBA may be an option.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

🙄  Because my company's name changed along with ownership, I now have to deal w/ changing it for the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, and the test lab. :frantics:

Yeah, we changed name & logo at the beginning of '20. A giant PITA. The one saving grace was that our FEIN didn't change.

We subscribe to 4 online databases that we have to upload all our safety/business information so our customers can look at it & we can work at their facilities. Also, we have to go through 4 different online training sites to get training for our folks prior to their arrival at the site.

The one site, which is my most giantest (sic), running, PITA, was actually the easiest to change name & logo. Had a "Change Name" sub-tab under one of the main tabs. Changed name, they called our land line to confirm, & it was changed with the nightly update.

The guy in the office next to me has to change all of our contractor licenses in the states where we operate. His has been a bigger PITA than mine.

I think our quality guy had to do the ASME thing too. We have pressure vessel code stamps, an AI and separate insurance. He didn't complain too much, and he is a guy who will, so I'ma guessing it wasn't too bad.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, 2Far said:

I think our quality guy had to do the ASME thing too. We have pressure vessel code stamps, an AI and separate insurance. He didn't complain too much, and he is a guy who will, so I'ma guessing it wasn't too bad.

Awesome. What stamps do you have? We only have a UV stamp, for safety valves built to Section VIII Division 1. We don't need an AI. The National Board is who performs our shop reviews, and we use their lab.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

The place I used to work changed their name.  The estimate on the final cost of the change, which was estimated to take several years, was 100 million dollars.

Money WELL spent!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Awesome. What stamps do you have? We only have a UV stamp, for safety valves built to Section VIII Division 1. We don't need an AI. The National Board is who performs our shop reviews, and we use their lab.

Well, not my area of expertise, but I think I heard that we have three: new, repair, and one more. Most of our work is carried out under the repair stamp. Also, he had to revise the nameplate template, which apparently took more effort than he thought necessary.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Yeah, we changed name & logo at the beginning of '20. A giant PITA. The one saving grace was that our FEIN didn't change.

 

Also, I had to change the name & logo on each of the 50 sections of our safety manual and in each of the 150 forms, documents, tests, trainings, PPTs I have responsibility over.

THEN, in January of this year, the feckers added the registered trademark symbol, ® ,  to the logo & said we had to use it to protect it.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Well, not my area of expertise, but I think I heard that we have three: new, repair, and one more. Most of our work is carried out under the repair stamp. Also, he had to revise the nameplate template, which apparently took more effort than he thought necessary.

we use the UV designator ;) this is how it is to be marked.  The stamp type (UV) was inside the symbol, but the 2013 Code revised the symbol to have ASME, then the stamp type was a designator. This was semi PITA change. Reason ASME did this was to lesson the burden of maintaining different stamps. Now they have only one.

image.png.84b7bde22d0658bf2da1a3e703c0b26e.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...what happens to all the old letterhead stationary ?

:dontknow:there probably isn't much on hand, w/ using email since about 2000. I used to though. I have new bidness cards, and plenty of old ones. I asked for one box because I don't use much. They gave me two.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

:dontknow:there probably isn't much on hand, w/ using email since about 2000. I used to though. I have new bidness cards, and plenty of old ones. I asked for one box because I don't use much. They gave me two.

...two boxes was probably cheaper. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

The place I used to work changed their name.  The estimate on the final cost of the change, which was estimated to take several years, was 100 million dollars.

Well, it's a non-profit after all. The money has to go somewhere.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...