Have we talked about Brittany, since…

Prophet Zacharia
Go to solution Solved by jsharr,

Her guilty plea in Russian court about carrying marijuana/hash oil vape into Russia? It’s a fascinating case, with a confession that a) could be legitimate, b) could be strategic, (hoping for leniency, a la a plea deal), or c) could be coerced. All in the backdrop of the war in Ukraine, with the US funding a large portion of the defense of Ukraine against Russian invasion. *I’ll accept her “confession” as having actually happened, as it was reported on by an English speaking Reuters reporter in the court room. 

If the US State Department believes it was a forced/coerced confession, then obviously political attempts at intervention should continue be applied. And the US should to be involved to ensure humane treatment while in custody, and to ensure her punishment doesn’t exceed standard Russian criminal sentencing for similar convictions.

But if she’s guilty of breaking Russian law, what official US response is warranted? The US drug laws very so much between states and Federal, and so many Americans are incarcerated at home for possession for personal use, that I view official US criticism of Russian law as being hypocritical. I’ve read some calls for a prisoner exchange, but the proposed Russian involved is a convicted arms dealer, which seems unbalanced. So what should the US do?

I think there’s a high likelihood that she’s guilty. That she intended to bring a vape into the country for personal use, thinking she’s never get caught. Alternatively, she brought it in accidentally, unintentionally in her luggage, but still within her responsibility. Intended for personal use, no intent to distribute. So to me, it’s likely a true confession in that sense.

Maybe, without the war, she’d have simply been convicted and deported. But as long as the sentence isn’t contrary to Russian law,  that’s simply the risk of traveling in a foreign country, let alone a hostile one, with drugs. Wooed by big money, paid by oligarchs to play basketball, she made some terrible decisions. 

discus.

I think a reasonable sentence would be about 3 months. In other words, release her for time served. But there’s a chance Russia will get political with her and either try to wheedle out a deal, or sentence her to an egregious term, like 5-10 years. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, BuffJim said:

I think a reasonable sentence would be about 3 months. In other words, release her for time served. But there’s a chance Russia will get political with her and either try to wheedle out a deal, or sentence her to an egregious term, like 5-10 years. 

That might be reasonable in the US.  In parts of the world the sentence could be death.  We cannot impose our laws on other countries easily.  It pays to be good when travelling.  She's going to get a stiff sentence.  That makes the trade for the merchant of death (25 year sentence) easier to make.

My take: she took them in on purpose thinking she wouldn't be caught. She's been playing there for 9 years, she knows the customs drill. I think anyone with celebrity was being targeted for enhance scrutiny in the lead-up to the war.

The US should quit with the "unjust detainment" (it isn't) dialog, but should make reasonable diplomatic efforts to secure her release. They should try to get the other guy out at the same time. They should not trade for the arms dealer, if possible.

first, what was she thinking? 

This also puts the US in a tricky spot.  She broke their laws, there are penalties to pay.  But she's also a US citizen being used as a pawn during a war.

Then there's the story of Ivan Fedotov.  Flyers' goalie prospect, played last year in the KHL.  He signed an entry level prospect to get his shot at playing in the NHL.  He was just detained for "trying to evade military service", and purportedly assigned to a military base somewhere above the Arctic circle.  He's not the only one.

12 minutes ago, 12string said:

He was just detained for "trying to evade military service", and purportedly assigned to a military base somewhere above the Arctic circle.  He's not the only one.

Is this the same situation as Kirill Kaprizov is dealing with, allegations that he bought a fake military ID to avoid military duty? I have no idea how buying a fake ID can be thought to offer protection against conscription, but….

13 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I am gonna say she was coerced a bit, with some false promises sprinkled in.  No real inside knowledge on my part, just guessing.

I have to say, confessing to a crime I did not commit is high on my list of things I never want to do in a hostile foreign country. Right below taking drugs through Customs.

• Heart 2

Without any knowledge of what she may have done or not, some of the articles I've read indicate that you are going to be found guilty anyway and pleading guilty can be seen as "mitigating factor"  (or not admitting responsibility is seen as an aggravating factor). .  Also, I read that any political trades can only be done after the court process is over.  So if she didn't plead, the court process could continue for a long time, delaying any potential trades.  So whether she brought the cartridges in or not, her own counsel would likely recommend the plea.

56 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Is this the same situation as Kirill Kaprizov is dealing with, allegations that he bought a fake military ID to avoid military duty? I have no idea how buying a fake ID can be thought to offer protection against conscription, but….

Similar.  Russia going after people that will hit the news.  Fedotov's case didn't say anything about IDs, they just came and took him away

9 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I guess Willie Nelson or Snoop Dog never performed in Russia (or almost anywhere outside the US)?

I think Snoop dealt (no pun intended) with a Cannabis possession charge in Denmark at one point. Mick Jagger couldn’t get work visas for awhile in the late 60’s due to a pot conviction. It took him a decade or more to get into Japan.