One thing I love about the farm....

Zephyr

Last weekend we camped in Shenandoah. Late Saturday night when attended a stargazing event the rangers lead. Just being in the mountains, away from the light of the towns, affords the clearest views of the nighttime heavens which are truly breathtaking. 

A friend and I did a backpacking trip to Roaring Plains in the Potomac Highlands in February several years ago. Zero light pollution and absolutely no other human encroachment. The night sky was the most amazing I’ve personally witnessed. It truly felt as if I could touch the stars. 

• Heart 3

16 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Last weekend we camped in Shenandoah. Late Saturday night when attended a stargazing event the rangers lead. Just being in the mountains, away from the light of the towns, affords the clearest views of the nighttime heavens which are truly breathtaking. 

A friend and I did a backpacking trip to Roaring Plains in the Potomac Highlands in February several years ago. Zero light pollution and absolutely no other human encroachment. The night sky was the most amazing I’ve personally witnessed. It truly felt as if I could touch the stars. 

Camping in the Colorado Rockies, the stars were mind boggling, a different world. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

When our family lived in Bend we came off the mountain about midnight. As we are driving down we are peeking at the stars but could not get a great look. Finally there was a pullout & we got out to see. Mind blowing. I'm always amazed to see the Milky Way. One of my fav memories of our time in Bend

• Heart 2

21 minutes ago, Further said:

Camping in the Colorado Rockies, the stars were mind boggling, a different world. 

I bet!!!  I’ve experienced some of the highlands out west - Tahoe, Sierra Nevadas, Yosemite, Humbolt. And some desert - Red Rock, NV, Death Valley. They are experiences I’m thankful to have had  and hope to do more.

• Heart 1

I grew up in the country across the street from the farm and at night we could walk out to the street and look up at the sky like that.  It was beautiful, especially on clear winter evenings.  Not so much now as the trees around me obscure much of the night sky.  When there are meteor showers we sometimes go out and lay on our backs on the deck and watch what's happening straight up.

• Heart 1