Zipper solution?

donkpow

These plastic zippers are total junk. I spend a ton of money on a jacket and the zipper fails. I don't even get a chance to wear the elbows out. I've sewn new zippers into old jackets but I'm sick and tired of this problem. I am in search of a preventive maintenance solution. Like a lubricant or something. I'll invent something, if I have to.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

I too feel you pain.  I have a Carhart canvas jacket with a brass zipper that's giving me problems.  The jacket is only 17 years old.

Let me know if you invent something that doesn't involve modifying voltage.

Yeah, seems like the loss of brass is not all that is to blame.  It had its share of problems too.

10 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

I have lost a few good jackets and pants to bad zippers.

I lost a leather suit to a bad zipper. 

I hear the call coming over the PA system....Race 8 sidecars 3rd and final call and I'm standing in the pits with a pliers trying to zip up my leathers.

• Hugs 1

8 hours ago, BR46 said:

I lost a leather suit to a bad zipper. 

I hear the call coming over the PA system....Race 8 sidecars 3rd and final call and I'm standing in the pits with a pliers trying to zip up my leathers.

Did you race with your zipper down?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Did you race with your zipper down?

No....we barely made the warm up lap. we did the warm up lap at full race speed and we were the last ones to the line. 

When we were done with the race I couldn't get out of the leathers. 

• Hugs 1

And that's why I love my North Face jackets / liners.   They have a lifetime warranty.   

I have 4 outer jacket shells (they can be worn as jackets with or without the liners) and 2 fleece liners and one insulted down liner for the jackets. The liners are also individual jackets too. 

The oldest shell must be at least 20 years old.   The North Face as replaced the main zipper and the liners zipper (how the 2 jackets zip into each other) on the old coat at least 3 times for free.   OK... I had to pay for the shipping to their repair center.  

Several years after I purchsed the first shell jacket and a liner, I purchsed a new shell and another liner.   I got them home, and the old liner would not zip into the new jacket (and vise versa). :(  I contacted The North Face and sent them the 2 older jackets. They changed all of the zippers on the old jackets to be compatible with the new jackets for free.  (except for shipping) :party:

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1