My new approach for work

Dirtyhip

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Give someone enough time out in the open world and their attitude about the workplace will change.  I'd keep my ear to the ground about other jobs you might like better.

I don't have a lot of time left to work.  Leaving this place early is a bad move.  I would lose so much vacation leave and some retirement benefits that would not be easily replaced.  I would probably have to move for better work.  This place doesn;t have a ton of options.

31 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

You can save vacation days for future use?

I meant starting at a new place and getting no vacation for a long while would be very very hard.  When you work somewhere for a long time, your annual accrual is quite high.  I only have about 3 years left of working I think.  We are allowed to carry forward each year.  I don't tend to do that but my accrual rate is attractive.

Again, small town here with limited opportunities for income.

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Hugs 1

4 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

It seems they reward the bad people at work

IKR?! Whole trays of cookies, help yourself. 

But, do you really want to be bad? It’s not like spending the night in a no camping zone where there’s no one for miles. You have to see these people every day. 

4 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I am tired of trying to be good and do what is best practice. 

I would suggest finding the things that you can control and influence.  Anything else, spend the minimal amount of energy dealing with those items, and where you can let other people run those shows.

That will leave at least some things in which you can find job satisfaction, and minimize your frustration with what you can't change.

Some of those things may be outside your 'official' job description.  So what?  If they are things you like doing, you do them well, and everybody is happy to let you have at it, then go to it.  Gain the influence and control over the stuff you really like to do.  At the very worst, if people come to you with their chickensh!+ stuff, you can claim you are too busy (working on the stuff you like to do) and their crap will have to get in line with all the other priorities.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

IKR?! Whole trays of cookies, help yourself. 

But, do you really want to be bad? It’s not like spending the night in a no camping zone where there’s no one for miles. You have to see these people every day. 

I stress far too much for too low of pay.  No respect.  I brought some great ideas to the table last year.  The were stolen and I never got the cred for any of it.  The computer dept got all the cred from my idea. Not even a mention that an idea I brought to them and was acted upon, FINALLY!  Not a word, credit or a thank you.  

There is a co-worker that does a crap job and I deal with fixing the crap when I get back.  

Maybe not outright bad, but I am going to stop trying so hard and work my pay grade and that is it.  I can't see myself being rude, mean or unhelpful when asked.  I just plan to do less.  More of a minimum job.  That is what they give me and I am tired.

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I stress far too much for too low of pay.  No respect.  I brought some great ideas to the table last year.  The were stolen and I never got the cred for any of it.  The computer dept got all the cred from my idea. Not even a mention that an idea I brought to them and was acted upon, FINALLY!  Not a word, credit or a thank you.  

There is a co-worker that does a crap job and I deal with fixing the crap when I get back.  

Maybe not outright bad, but I am going to stop trying so hard and work my pay grade and that is it.  I can't see myself being rude, mean or unhelpful when asked.  I just plan to do less.  More of a minimum job.  That is what they give me and I am tired.

You are too diligent to do a bad job.  I used to say similar things at former jobs but never followed through.  I just moved on. 

• Thank You 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Ralphie said:

Well Dilbert has been canceled but Shirley you remember Wally from Dilbert!  Always follows his coffee cup around. :D A tremendous slouch.

I still remember and often implement Wally's advice that wandering aimlessly around the office looks official as long as you carry a binder. :nodhead:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I had this happen at Pratt and Whitney when I got to sit in the audience and watch some data systems folks get applauded for a PLC program's success that I spent 8 months designing for them.  In the end, it didn't matter because I very much enjoyed the task.  I also knew enough to smile at them every time they came back to me to get questions answered on how it worked.

In the end it didn't matter because as I reached a certain age point and place on the retirement fund graph the company laid me off as too expensive.  Shit happens.  The American way.

Skills I learned there kept me going for another 20 years.