Hey @BR46 and Team Scooter other sled riders

jsharr

3 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I have hit 75-80 mph on a sled..., 198 is crazy.  I would not do that.

Yeah, I hit 80 MPH in hardpack snow on the road in front of our house as a teenager.  I'd never do that again.  Another time I was racing a friend's dad on that same sled, probably doing about 60 when the right ski broke in half.  The front of the spring bent backwards throwing a mixture of snow and grass and dirt all over the place.  I thought I was going to die.  There were probably other times on that sled when I should have died.

• Heart 2

6 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Yeah, I hit 80 MPH in hardpack snow on the road in front of our house as a teenager.  I'd never do that again.  Another time I was racing a friend's dad on that same sled, probably doing about 60 when the right ski broke in half.  The front of the spring bent backwards throwing a mixture of snow and grass and dirt all over the place.  I thought I was going to die.  There were probably other times on that sled when I should have died.

I am glad you are not dead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

Was watching a show about high performance motor sports show in Vegas.  They showed a snow mobile that went 198mph on a 1,000 foot ice drag strip!  It was freaking crazy

So @team scooter and @BR46 and you other denizens of the frozen north, would you ever do this? 

National Straightline Snowmobile Racing

You don't need a sled.  I do that on tires all winter long! 

1 minute ago, team scooter said:

Back 20 plus years ago, the snowmobile I had at the time could easily do 110 mph without breaking a sweat. :drool:

Each snowmobile I've owned since has been purposely slower and less powerful then the last. My aging body cant handle that high speed adrenaline rush anymore. Soon, I'll only be able to handle our grandkids Kitty Cat. With it's 3.60 cubic inches of raw two smoke power. :(

kit.jpg

My lack of self discipline and self control is why I never owned a motorcycle.  I have a tendency to use as much power as the vehicle has..... 

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Further said:

Wilbur, when an airplane is on the ground, is the steering done by the control surfaces, or the tires ?  Steering brakes or pointing the nose gear?

Normally by a tiller in the cockpit that turns the nose wheels.  Alternately, differential braking and if desperate, asymmetric reverse thrust.  It becomes a ballet up front when things are not going well.  :) 

• Heart 2

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Normally by a tiller in the cockpit that turns the nose wheels.  Alternately, differential braking and if desperate, asymmetric reverse thrust.  It becomes a ballet up front when things are not going well.  :) 

So we were watching Swan Lake?