The justice department is trying to "Bell Labs" Apple

maddmaxx

14 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

It seems that Apple's operating system is too incomparable with Androids.  One option might be to break up Apple for being too successful ala Bell Labs.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/apple-sued-doj-antitrust-monopoly-biden-rcna144424

It is a bit of a conundrum. These massive tech companies are doing what they are supposed to do - maximize their interests even if at the cost of the public interests.  But on the flip side, they live and grow due to the MASSIVE degree of protections afforded a business in US, and are thus implicitly (and explicitly) required to play by some set of rules determined by the "public".  Google and Apple really have a ton of influence as well as the ability to squash competition that would normally be good for Americans. :dontknow:

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It is a bit of a conundrum. These massive tech companies are doing what they are supposed to do - maximize their interests even if at the cost of the public interests.  But on the flip side, they live and grow due to the MASSIVE degree of protections afforded a business in US, and are thus implicitly (and explicitly) required to play by some set of rules determined by the "public".  Google and Apple really have a ton of influence as well as the ability to squash competition that would normally be good for Americans. :dontknow:

What responsibility does Apple have to transmit good videos to your competitor phone?

46 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

As an "Apple guy", I want everyone on iOS!  Do you?

I don't car what "they" have.  I purchased a product I liked and I'm not going to get the justice department involved if I'm seeing greener grass over their septic tank.

Breaking up Bell Labs was a government overreach also.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Did anybody cry for Apple when the IBM PC standard took over in the 80's

In 1990, Microsoft introduced the Microsoft Office suite which bundled separate applications such as Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.[14]: 301  On May 22, Microsoft launched Windows 3.0, featuring streamlined user interface graphics and improved protected mode capability for the Intel 386 processor,[34] and both Office and Windows became dominant in their respective areas.[35][36]

On July 27, 1994, the Department of Justice's Antitrust Division filed a competitive impact statement that said: "Beginning in 1988 and continuing until July 15, 1994, Microsoft induced many OEMs to execute anti-competitive 'per processor licenses. Under a per-processor license, an OEM pays Microsoft a royalty for each computer it sells containing a particular microprocessor, whether the OEM sells the computer with a Microsoft operating system or a non-Microsoft operating system. In effect, the royalty payment to Microsoft when no Microsoft product is being used acts as a penalty, or tax, on the OEM's use of a competing PC operating system. Since 1988, Microsoft's use of per processor licenses has increased."[37]

5 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Microsoft actually invested in Apple so they would have a competitor and therefore avoid monopoly charges. 

6 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Ironically, that's about when the trouble started.

Antitrust laws have been greatly weakened and ignored since about the 80's.  The public is paying for it.  A LOT.

anti "Trust".  As in, the public trust.  Massive corporations with little competitve pressure violate the public trust by eliminating options that otherwise would keep pricing down.

This is why watching TV now costs $120/month - with commercials.

I find it interesting, though, that Apple is being targeted.  The iPhone market share is 661%.  I suppose the thinking is that's One company, Whereas Android's 33.9% is an operating system sold by many phone manufacturers.  But if you don't want to pay $55,764 for an iphone, buy a Motorola, and learn Droid.

7 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

As an "Apple guy", I want everyone on iOS!  Do you?

I went to iPhone mainly to check it out.  Somethings good.  Somethings not so good.  Next phone I will most likely go back to Android as it's cheaper and I'm not so sure better. But that's also like saying Jesus is more holy than Mohammad.  Depends on your base.

• Like 1

The big problem with Apple is that it wants to control the small businesses interacting with it, including prevent them from selling items from music to electronics at a lower price outside of Apple's stores even though Apple gets a cut of sales thru Apple.

Apple has blocked the development of hardware and software that would let users interact between Apple and non-Apple products.

On 3/22/2024 at 9:09 AM, maddmaxx said:

What responsibility does Apple have to transmit good videos to your competitor phone?

It's less a question of Apple transmitting than Apple blocking anyone from creating the ability to transmit videos which a not Apple's property.

My old phone Galaxy S7 is Android.  It still works and runs the few apps I will use. 

One of these days I'll give in and get a new Galaxy.  They are on version S24 now.

I'll probably just procrastinate until it dies or apps stop working.

On 3/22/2024 at 10:03 AM, maddmaxx said:

I don't car what "they" have.  I purchased a product I liked and I'm not going to get the justice department involved if I'm seeing greener grass over their septic tank.

Breaking up Bell Labs was a government overreach also.

The US justice system is a great reason to avoid the US.  Corruption runs too deep and as is plainly visible, has nothing to do with law and much to do with politics. I have a former boss that spent 5 years in prison because of an over zealous and politically motivated DA.  He was imprisoned for obstruction of justice when he took a box of personal items from his Toronto office.  He had also been charged with several counts of fraud for non-compete payments with companies he had sold.  All of which were dropped and the remaining two overturned.  He was eventually pardoned by Trump and has been pretty successful in suing the US government for damages.  He won't live long enough to see all the suits he has filed  through but it has given him great perspective on America, the justice system and the common citizen. 

• Sad 1