Check it out

dinneR

Just now, JerrySTL said:

Is there an advantage with them when carrying a heavy load?

I dunno, maybe a bar bag makes it clunky with normal shifters?   There'd have to be a reason, though, I don't think folks would add those without a direct purpose.

2 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

WoJSTL looked at it and the first thing that she said was "He's got it in his kitchen!" I never even noticed that.

I've never used bar end shifters. Is there an advantage with them when carrying a heavy load?

The kitchen is my workbench. Notice the bottle cage and park tool grease on the stove. I think the bolts were sitting on the cutting board. It has now moved to the dining/laundry three feet away.

• Haha 2

Just now, dinneR said:

The kitchen is my workbench. Notice the bottle cage and park tool grease on the stove. I think the bolts were sitting on the cutting board. It has now moved to the dining/laundry three feet away.

Can the same workshop be reconstructed in your new place?

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I dunno, maybe a bar bag makes it clunky with normal shifters?   There'd have to be a reason, though, I don't think folks would add those without a direct purpose.

The bar-end shifters are replacing Sram double-tap shifters. I really did not like the double-tap. I finally gave up and went old school. The thing about bikepacking is we are in the backcountry. No shop to fix stuff. Bar-end shifters are awesome. You can switch over to friction if needed. The left shifter is friction, the right is index.

• Heart 1
  • Like 2

I used SRAM bar end shifters on the TT bikes I built.  That was back in the day before electronic shifting with buttons at every hand position.  There were bar end shifters on the aerobars and 3 brake levers, two on the bar ends and one combiner lever on the right aerobar.

I like bar end shifters.  They are simple.  They work.  They rarely break. They fit in lots of places

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

Bar end shifters I read are ideal for long distances I read because they often don't break down. True?

General consensus is they are more reliable. I would have gone with Microshift, but they are not compatible with Sram.

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I like bar end shifters.  They are simple.  They work.  They rarely break. They fit in lots of places

The only drawback that I can tell -- and mainly for big fat guys like me -- is the brakes are dropped low.  I'm usually almost always riding in a more upright position for comfort and like the height of a brifter for example.  So far I've been fortunate because I've never had a brake part fail on me.

13 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

The only drawback that I can tell -

I don't think I would take to bar end shifters at all, they just aren't placed conveniently for shifting for me - I'd get pissed pretty quickly with constantly moving my hands around to shift (I shift a lot).  That said, I haven't had a shifter break on me way the hell out in the middle of nowhere, I imagine that could affect how you feel about them.

Just now, Randomguy said:

I don't think I would take to bar end shifters at all, they just aren't placed conveniently for shifting for me - I'd get pissed pretty quickly with constantly moving my hands around to shift (I shift a lot).  That said, I haven't had a shifter break on me way the hell out in the middle of nowhere, I imagine that could affect how you feel about them.

That's more or less how I feel but I know the owners of the bar end shifters love them.  I asked some old timer on the bus one day that had thrown his bike on the rack in the bus front about them and he said he had over 22,000 miles on that bike and never had to replace or fix them.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

That's more or less how I feel but I know the owners of the bar end shifters love them.  I asked some old timer on the bus one day that had thrown his bike on the rack in the bus front about them and he said he had over 22,000 miles on that bike and never had to replace or fix them.

Is it normal for any shifters to need to be replaced or fixed?

I did have a shift cable break after ears of neglect leaving the "head" of the cable in the brifter body.  Took a bit to work that out.  But that wasn't a broken shifter - it was a cable.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I did have a shift cable break after ears of neglect leaving the "head" of the cable in the brifter body.  Took a bit to work that out.  But that wasn't a broken shifter - it was a cable.

I think in theory bar end shifters are supposed to be simpler.  I don't doubt that. I just never had a problem with the "other" styles of braking gear.  So like most things, I guess it comes down to preference.

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

2 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

I think in theory bar end shifters are supposed to be simpler.  I don't doubt that. I just never had a problem with the "other" styles of braking gear.  So like most things, I guess it comes down to preference.

I switched shifters for a couple of reasons. I really did not like the Sram double-tap shifters. Without replacing the entire drivetrain, bar-ends were the only option. Bar-ends are simple and reliable. Shit goes wrong when you are on a bike for multiple days in the backcountry. You need a plan. Look at what happened to Lachlan Morton on the divide. He had to jam a spoke into his derailleur to continue riding.

Of all the shifters I have used, I like Shimano and Microshift the best. Gripshift was pretty good on mountain bikes. The ergonomics of Microshift might be some of the best I have used.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dinneR said:

I really did not like the Sram double-tap shifters.

This is what I have. Mostly I like them but I only ride on the road and I could see how they'd be a pain if I was riding in gravel or back country.  If find the double tap not very reliable when I need to shift quickly or multiple times.  Riding those off road trails sometimes requires one to shift up or down multiple gears quickly -- which I find the double taps to be a bit distressing. Seem to work fine for me though if I'm out on the road or pavement.  Those Shimano rapid fire shifters on the other hand...