What happened to the murder hornets?

Randomguy

Washington did a good job of eliminating the murder hornets, but then their cousin ,the yellow legged hornet was spotted in Georgia last year!

• Thank You 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

@Dottleshead will let us know when shit hits the fan!

8 hours ago, Kirby said:

Washington did a good job of eliminating the murder hornets, but then their cousin ,the yellow legged hornet was spotted in Georgia last year!

I lost track but I know this is a major agriculture area (raspberries and blueberries) that supplies like 90% of the domestic market.  I know they had all the major universities working it and last I heard(read?) they managed to somehow put a tracker or something on one of those buggers and traced it back to their nest(s).  They think they came over from freight that was shipped across the Pacific.

I'm to lazy to look it up but I'll take Kirby's word for it.  I got assume those little bastards were exterminated -- not in a nice way either.

I'm waiting for the Spotted Lanternfly invasion to explode.

A couple years back, every time I walked Jake on a trail that overlooks BWI Airport, I'd see the guy, Dr. Michael Raupp, featured in the video below, poking along the edge of the trail and looking at brush, trees, etc.

So I asked him what he was doing and he showed me a couple tree trunks covered all over with caterpillars.  He told me they would transform into adult spotted lanternflies that had been wreaking havoc on grape orchards and elsewhere in Pennsylvania since its eggs accidentally arrived in a shipment of stone from China in 2012.  Now, he said, they're moving south into Maryland and have been seen in a bunch of counties.

This is a video from Sept. 2023: