Probiotics and Antibiotics

MickinMD

I've ignored most of the "Probiotics" craze in recent years, chalking it up to more baseless hype.  But I've found a great use for it.

I've been taking antibiotics most of the month of January to cure bronchitis (accomplished, I think!) and, without thinking of antibiotics, I mentioned occasional stomach queasiness and acid reflux problems I've been having the last few weeks to my sister, a cancer-research master nurse at Johns Hopkins Hospital, while we were planning our family's annual Super Bowl Party last night.

She reminded me the antibiotics are killing my stomach bacteria and told me to eat at least two 6 oz. Probiotics yogurts each day to repopulate the bacteria.

She also noted the queasiness was making me skip lunch which probably has a lot to do with the acid reflux and to eat something not-to-acidic for lunch, even if it's just Aldi's condensed vegetable soup with beef broth or better, cereal with milk.

It's just the next day and I'm feeling better already!

• Heart 2

6 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I've ignored most of the "Probiotics" craze in recent years, chalking it up to more baseless hype.  But I've found a great use for it.

So are you admitting you dismissed something wrongly or are you just jumping on the hype bandwagon (and happy with some sort of placebo effect)?

Tom

Yes. Even though I am not on antibiotics, I have yogurt everyday. It is good food. After an antibiotic treatment a while back, I drank some organic probiotic drink with ginger. It was delicious but somewhat expensive. Worth it, IMO.

I forgot to say I believe probiotic products are for your colon and prebiotics are for your stomach. Fresh fruits and vegetable for your stomach. Stuff that will ferment easily. That is my understanding.

16 hours ago, donkpow said:

forgot to say I believe probiotic products are for your colon and prebiotics are for your stomach. Fresh fruits and vegetable for your stomach

Probiotics are good for you, just stay away from the amateurbiotics.

I take a probiotic every day and eat live culture yogurt. I have seldom taken antibiotics except for when I have had surgery or the one time I had pneumonia. I would think if your not doing antibiotics your gut bacteria could take care of itself but never researched it. I like yogurt and some extra cultures are not going to hurt.

• Heart 1