NHL Playoffs

Prophet Zacharia

Holtby and Murray were stellar last night.  Holtby robbed the Pens repeatedly in the first and Murray kept the Pens in the lead once they got there.

I tell Wade that hockey is a game of inches or even fractions of inches.  Sometimes the inch is in your favor, sometimes it is against.  Last night proved that.  The cross ice pass to Crosby that Ovechkin almost blocked was a perfect illustration of that.

I missed the start of the Vegas game, but I have a hard time liking a system that is so heavily weighted for a new team.  they got to take the best players from every team and then go into the draft as well.  Does not seem fair, but it is what it is.  And you would think a team in Vegas would have a better sweater.  Those things the Knights wear are horrid.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

they got to take the best players from every team and then go into the draft as well.

No they didn't.  Teams were allowed to protect a number of players and Vegas got to select from unprotected players.  It is nice tat a team does not go through it first few years as the league bottom dwellers.  It helps them build a fan base, and the league wants parity.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

No they didn't.  Teams were allowed to protect a number of players and Vegas got to select from unprotected players.  It is nice tat a team does not go through it first few years as the league bottom dwellers.  It helps them build a fan base, and the league wants parity.

Sort of.  Teams HAD to protect any player with a no movement clause and could only protect a certain number of players, so Vegas got to take a top ten player off of every roster. 

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Yeah, the expansion draft set-up was fine. Teams at worst were going to lose their #4 defenseman, a third line forward, or a back-up goalie. That teams lost their minds and gave draft picks or traded multiple players to Vegas to avoid this isn’t the fault of the league, nor is teams failing to protect really good players. Teams also used Vegas as a Cap hit reduction, too, so players like Fleury and Neal were available, but that’s not Vega’s fault, and it will eventually come back on them as they will have expiring free agent contracts they will need to try to sign but suddenly face cap-hit reality.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, goldendesign said:

They really need to review Fleury in net. Three shutouts already in the playoffs? That guys a brick wall.

I assume this means  Vegas should “renew” Fleury’s contract? He’s still signed for two more seasons, IIRC, he was slated to be the Pens goalie for awhile until he got a concussion 10 games before the playoffs started in 2016 (James Neal shot, ironically) and Murray came in and never gave up the net. So Vegas has their goalie for now.

• Heart 1

48 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I assume this means  Vegas should “renew” Fleury’s contract? He’s still signed for two more seasons, IIRC, he was slated to be the Pens goalie for awhile until he got a concussion 10 games before the playoffs started in 2016 (James Neal shot, ironically) and Murray came in and never gave up the net. So Vegas has their goalie for now.

I was referring to the Sharks and how they have to approach a goalie coming off a pretty hot streak. He is a big part of the equation of the Knights success this playoffs 

Might have been a wake up for the sharks, just because it's an expansion team.....

This is the most complete style of Hockey Cyndy has ever played, I respect that, but I still can't stand him.  Pens are coached to not worry about getting behind in games, Caps are conditioned to get frantic when behind in the playoffs, so last night was no surprise.

Still thinking Bolts win it all.

2 hours ago, 12string said:

This is the most complete style of Hockey Cyndy has ever played, I respect that, but I still can't stand him. 

Oh look, we misspell Crosby’s name to insult him by calling him a girl. Have you learned nothing? Why don’t you ask your daughter if she thinks it’s cool that you try to disparage someone by calling him a girl.  

Crosby’s going to pass Ray Borque, Brian Trottier, Lidstrom and Yzerman to move into top 10 in career playoff scoring this postseason.

9 minutes to go, but the Bruins / Tampa game is looking good for the Bruins.  Some bad calls both ways, more in favor of Tampa though - especially for no calls.  Took away a Bruins goal for a pretty tame crosscheck.  Tampa got a goal on a powerplay when Rask was missing a blade.  Overall the score could be much worse.  I never favor a blowout of any team, I worry it pisses them off and makes them come back stronger, so I'd be happy if they kept the score here at 5-2.

On 4/25/2018 at 2:55 PM, goldendesign said:

I hope they pull it out just because I'd rather watch that match up. Than a Bruins/Lightning series. Leafs would make it more challenging, but ultimately unsuccessful

Bolts must feel very relieved they got the Bruins if the Leafs would have been the tougher match-up. 6-2 Bruins.

A lot of talking heads placed doubt on the lightning for game one. Being off the ice for as long as they were they've been it'll either be good or bad. I missed the game, took daughter to Disney, so I can't commit to any excuse.

Seems Bruins came to play and lightning left a steaming turd of a game one for the home crowd.

@Square Wheels I think you might be right. Embarrassing a team with stakes this high and your gonna have to expect a heavy return of the favor attempt.

I'm still hopeful this was them being to long from the pressure and emotions of the playoffs. Either way I think this series is just getting started.

Well played Bruins. Now Tampa has to answer.

7 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

A lot of talking heads placed doubt on the lightning for game one. Being off the ice for as long as they were they've been it'll either be good or bad. I missed the game, took daughter to Disney, so I can't commit to any excuse.

Seems Bruins came to play and lightning left a steaming turd of a game one for the home crowd.

@Square Wheels I think you might be right. Embarrassing a team with stakes this high and your gonna have to expect a heavy return of the favor attempt.

I'm still hopeful this was them being to long from the pressure and emotions of the playoffs. Either way I think this series is just getting started.

Well played Bruins. Now Tampa has to answer.

Don't worry man.  The Bolts will end up spanking Boston. 

Couch 

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

It took 2OT for the Preds to even the series 1-1.

i assume it’s Boston/Tampa and VGK/SJS tonight?

Pred and jets know how to battle it out. 

I'm wearing my lucky jersey and will be 5 rows back from the home bench for tonight's game. GO BOLTS! 

I won't be surprised by a repeat performance from Vegas but am still hoping sharks can pull a win.

Watched the Capitals win yesterday. Even with the goal removed I don't think the Penguins had it in them to pull out a win. 

• Heart 1

Not sure how much longer VGK can keep this up.  They play a ridiculously disciplined game, nothing fancy, but few errors.  Thats worked with their opponents so far, but SJS can turn it up a couple notches.   What happens when they have to open it up and go for broke?

In draft news, Blues didn't win the lottery, so Flyers get their #14 to go with their own #19 in a really deep draft.

1 hour ago, goldendesign said:

Pred and jets know how to battle it out. 

I'm wearing my lucky jersey and will be 5 rows back from the home bench for tonight's game. GO BOLTS! 

I won't be surprised by a repeat performance from Vegas but am still hoping sharks can pull a win.

Watched the Capitals win yesterday. Even with the goal removed I don't think the Penguins had it in them to pull out a win. 

What number will you be wearing? Home blue? Will look for you.

I don't think you can say what would have happened had it been suddently 3-2. Capitals have a way of imploding when they get stressed. 

32 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

What number will you be wearing? Home blue? Will look for you.

I don't think you can say what would have happened had it been suddently 3-2. Capitals have a way of imploding when they get stressed. 

Home blue if I wear my #29 Koekkoek or a practice grey jersey with #73 Erne

My seat is 3 over from the railing to the locker room, 5 rows back. I'll also be there with this pretty lady: 

IMG_20171014_184625.thumb.jpg.20ac3b6bcc3a65e33580ee93036b01ae.jpg

• Heart 2

It’s a garbage league where the obligation of avoiding a direct hit to the head is placed on the player being hit. Wilson has him lined up without Dumoulin even knowing he is there. The correct play, when Dumoulin reacts to Ovechkin coming in on him, is for Wilson to skate to his right, thus avoiding the collision of Dumo and Ovie. Instead, as Ovechkin initiates contact, Wilson thrusts his shoulder into Dumoulin’s head, concussing him, and also putting Ovechkin’s health at risk as well. This is the second time Wilson has knocked an opponent out of a playoff game this post season, each time hitting the head of a player already engaged in a check by Ovechkin. Wilson had 25 points on the season, despite skating first line minutes with Ovechkin and Kuznetsov. He is what is wrong with the NHL. His only redeeming value is that he frequently takes costly penalties that results in his team losing games.

Well the Jets overtake the Preds in a rather spectacular fashion. I've got the game recorded, will watch at lunch. Interested to see what, if any, was the cause of the Preds implosion there.

Capital squeak buy with last minute, literally, goal and pull another win against the little flightless birds. I was leaning this way before the second round started. I hope they hold on to the lead in the series.

Playoffs always bring some exciting hockey but I think last night was pretty spectacular.

23 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

It’s a garbage league where the obligation of avoiding a direct hit to the head is placed on the player being hit. Wilson has him lined up without Dumoulin even knowing he is there. The correct play, when Dumoulin reacts to Ovechkin coming in on him, is for Wilson to skate to his right, thus avoiding the collision of Dumo and Ovie. Instead, as Ovechkin initiates contact, Wilson thrusts his shoulder into Dumoulin’s head, concussing him, and also putting Ovechkin’s health at risk as well. This is the second time Wilson has knocked an opponent out of a playoff game this post season, each time hitting the head of a player already engaged in a check by Ovechkin. Wilson had 25 points on the season, despite skating first line minutes with Ovechkin and Kuznetsov. He is what is wrong with the NHL. His only redeeming value is that he frequently takes costly penalties that results in his team losing games.

Are you sitting down?

I agree 100%.  Wilson needs to be suspended, for a long time.  This is his MO, and there is no place for it. If the league wants to even pretend they care about the players,  they need to stop this ridiculous no rules in the post season attitude.

Yes, Dumoulin turned.  Just made it easier, as it was pretty clear Wilson was already targeting his head.  It's a really stupid hockey play to lean in on a player already about to be hit by your teammate.  The correct - really only  - hockey play is to skate to the right and go get that puck that Dumoulin passed too early because he was about to bit hit.  Even Wilson knows that, there was only ONE reason he turned left and jacked his shoulder.

3 minutes ago, 12string said:

Are you sitting down?

I agree 100%.  Wilson needs to be suspended, for a long time.  This is his MO, and there is no place for it. If the league wants to even pretend they care about the players,  they need to stop this ridiculous no rules in the post season attitude.

Yes, Dumoulin turned.  Just made it easier, as it was pretty clear Wilson was already targeting his head.  It's a really stupid hockey play to lean in on a player already about to be hit by your teammate.  The correct - really only  - hockey play is to skate to the right and go get that puck that Dumoulin passed too early because he was about to bit hit.  Even Wilson knows that, there was only ONE reason he turned left and jacked his shoulder.

I believe that the Caps use other players, like Oveckin to set up opposing players for Wilson to lay out.  He has worked on the lunge so that he appears to go for the shoulder but is actually targetting the head.  It is sickening that the NHL would allow this to go on, know how bad concussions are for the long term health of the players.  

Thuggery has no place in any sport.  Wilson needs a LONG suspension, at least as long as the time his victim is out with a broken jaw and then 10 games on top of that.

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I believe that the Caps use other players, like Oveckin to set up opposing players for Wilson to lay out.  He has worked on the lunge so that he appears to go for the shoulder but is actually targetting the head.  It is sickening that the NHL would allow this to go on, know how bad concussions are for the long term health of the players.  

Thuggery has no place in any sport.  Wilson needs a LONG suspension, at least as long as the time his victim is out with a broken jaw and then 10 games on top of that.

This guy should start wearing some tin foil under his helmet.  So many mind readers out there who are able to ferret out his intent despite all of his devious attempts to mislead. 

19 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

This guy should start wearing some tin foil under his helmet.  So many mind readers out there who are able to ferret out his intent despite all of his devious attempts to mislead. 

Opinions are like assholes, we all have one.

4 minutes ago, 12string said:

I think Wilson is just good at recognizing players that are vulnerable and won't see him coming.

Players that are engaged with another Caps player already and in situations where they have no where to go.  I firmly believe his intent is to hurt opposing players and get the opposing team focused on retribution and off it's game.  

13 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I firmly believe his intent is to hurt opposing players

Yup.

There are players who take their cheap shots, even moreso in the playoffs.  Then there are players who intend to inflict serious injuries.  The other players know who they are, the league knows who they are, it could be stopped if the politics would get out of the way.

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Zach Aston-Reese lost sight of Wilson behind another Capital last night. Tom made sure to finish him off. Broken jaw and concussion for ZAR, Wilson and Orpik laughed on the bench. Caps fans call it a good hockey hit. Shoulder to shoulder. Refs saw nothing.

The ref saw Wilson coming, turned his back and scrambled down the bench to avoid getting laid out by Wilson as well.  He knew what was coming

9 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Zach Aston-Reese lost sight of Wilson behind another Capital last night. Tom made sure to finish him off. Broken jaw and concussion for ZAR, Wilson and Orpik laughed on the bench. Caps fans call it a good hockey hit. Shoulder to shoulder. Refs saw nothing.

Looks like shoulder to jaw to me.

And this is what happens when you tell Wilson it's OK to head hunt.

I actually understand the on ice officials not calling it, it took slow mo from the right angle to see the head target.  But Wilson needs to be done for at least the postseason.  He's a headhunter, and he's been doing it for years.

21 minutes ago, 12string said:

And this is what happens when you tell Wilson it's OK to head hunt.

I actually understand the on ice officials not calling it, it took slow mo from the right angle to see the head target.  But Wilson needs to be done for at least the postseason.  He's a headhunter, and he's been doing it for years.

I think the charge was obvious and should have been called with consultation from the linesmen, even if they weren’t sure where the impact landed.