Sugar is poison

Wilbur

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

You do know that yo yo dieting is 'sposed to be bad, right?

But I agree, sugar is quite evil!

This isn't yo yo.  It is elimination, then sort out which foods are the inflammation causers for me.  Those will be avoided forever.  So, I will add back, meat alone is a terrible diet. 

20 minutes ago, Further said:

Decades ago a buddy & I were discussing legal drugs, we agreed on alcohol & nicotine. He added caffeine and I countered with sugar.

We argued for a bit then agreed we were both right.

They're all addictive as hell.   

I love sugar.  I hate sugar.  I banish it, but then make up with it.  I want it inside me.  I am gay for sugar.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

Back around 1974 the weekly guest lecturer in the Chemistry Department at IIT, each one usually a highly regarded researcher, canceled and they got some Ph.D. from a Community College to take his place who looked like Colonel Sanders - and was about as old.  He gave a presentation about sugar being the source of many of our ills.

I, a scholarship graduate student for whom attendance was mandatory, was sitting with a junior chem. major named Barbara I had talked into killing some time at the talk before we went back to the dorms and had dinner in the cafeteria. She later became a medical doctor and had a research career at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.  We laughed and thought the guy was hilarious.  Barbara whispered to me, "What a charlatan!"  During the question period he was grilled unkindly by a few grad. students who poked holes in some of his conclusions until one of the faculty called an end to the questions and wrapped it up.

Years later, with the obesity epidemic in the USA in full bloom, I'm sure we all realized that, despite some poorly designed analysis, he was right on target with his conclusions!

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

50 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Years later, with the obesity epidemic in the USA in full bloom, I'm sure we all realized that, despite some poorly designed analysis, he was right on target with his conclusions!

But since he was Colonel Sanders, that was sort of like the Chick Fil-A cows saying "Eat Mor chickn!"

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Agree about sugar is poison. That’s why I’ve  switched completely to high fructose corn syrup. It’s a no-brainer. 

Sugar is overdone but is not poison. Fake sugar is the poison. When I ran the coffee shop people would ask if I had artificial sweetener. I said I sure do, name your poison and they would tell me which poison was their preference. The crap in the yellow packets was the biggest seller. 

• Heart 1

I listened to The Case Against Sugar.  That was pretty compelling that sugar is really harmful.  I am now listening to Good Calories, Bad Calories.  Much more damning.  As I've said about this author before, he's not a researcher or a scientist, he just reports on the research.  If only a small fraction of the evidence that sugar, in all forms, is amazingly bad for you is true, it's terrifying.

I am trying really hard to remove it from my diet.

I think I agree: I saw a documentary quite a few years ago on the stuff and the profs on it were saying if white sugar was invented now it would never be passed as fit for sale.

And Wilbur well done to you for giving this a go and for the success you're already experiencing with it.

• Heart 1