The Story of Last Weekend

Parr8hed

7 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

She may not even like softball anymore then.  

Your job is to subtly force her into an environment where every waking hour outside of school is softball. That way it'll get in her blood and she won't be able to walk away.

Or something like that.  I was never able to get my daughter excited about anything. She either liked it or not.   She was decent at volleyball, but gave it up along the way.

2 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Your job is to subtly force her into an environment where every waking hour outside of school is softball. That way it'll get in her blood and she won't be able to walk away.

Or something like that.  I was never able to get my daughter excited about anything. She either liked it or not.   She was decent at volleyball, but gave it up along the way.

It's just so hard to predict what a kid will be interested in.  We saw many talented athletes drop sports due to burn out, injury, pregnancy, legal/criminal matters and drugs & alcohol.  We also saw numerous go on to play in college and saw one get drafted into the major leagues.  It's a crapshoot really...

We never forced my kids to do anything. We offered the opportunities & resources. It was up to them to opt in or not.

• Heart 2

Keep her going in softball and encourage other sports and general athletics.

Colleges have to award a certain  ratio of women to men scholarships so if they have a football team with a lot of scholarships, they have to create girls teams like rowing, cross-country skiing (in the north), etc. so they can award enough women sports scholarships.

When I coached high school softball in the '90's in an area that was the state's hot-bed for softball, about 3 of my girls got college scholarships each year - some for softball, but some also for the rowing team, etc.

• Heart 1