Scanner software?

donkpow

If I need to scan to .pdf, I just scan it at work. If I need to scan photos, I will just use the iPhone or my DSLR if I need higher quality.

i will be looking for a flatbed scanner with large transparency capability to scan slides, negatives  both 35mm and Medium Format. 

• Heart 1

I use the software that is supplied with the MFC unit (Brother).  It works well, but the software you linked to should be adequate.

Reviews:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2064315/not-another-pdf-scanner-2-review-free-naps2-makes-documents-scans-easier.html

https://www.ghacks.net/2015/05/10/not-another-pdf-scanner-2-review/

1 hour ago, groupw said:

i will be looking for a flatbed scanner with large transparency capability to scan slides, negatives  both 35mm and Medium Format. 

I use the Epson V550 Photo which is their mid-range flatbed. In addition to photo scan, it will also do 35mm and 220 film and slides. Earlier this year I scanned my mother's entire slide collection, about 500 from various films all in the 2x2 cardboard frame mount. Additionally so 220 B&W film my wife found of her as a child that she had no idea even existed. I used the software that came with the Epson which was similar to prior Epson scanners I have used. Very little change over the decades. Was tempted with Canon's similar scanner but 1) scanning detail specs were not quite as strong as the Epson - but certainly sufficient, and 2) already have a Canon MG6329 all-in-one printer which is better for photos than my HP laser and was afraid I might create a scanner software conflict with both having scanning capability. I tend to use the Canon for document copy scanning but, like all "all-in-one"s it is not a robust as a flatbed for photos.

The open source software linked in the original post is probably ok, but why test fate with potentially conflicting TWAIN drivers. Additionally, I didn't see where it had the capability to scan slides or film (requies activating pass-through lighting in the top on the scanner) or a setting for the dpi of the scan. For documents, I typically use 150 dpi - color or B&W, scan prints 300 dpi, and film/slides 2400 (or higher) dpi. For B&W will typically see better rendition of both text and print tonality with 8 or 16 bit greyscale rather than the B&W setting. Quick review of that software photos, didn't see where had that level of control. Use what the manufacturer provides for free and download it from their support site for the most current rather than the CD that comes with the scanner.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1