Ever leave your wallet at home...

MickinMD

...and then live in fear you'll need it for ID or to buy something over the next few hours?

I was driving Jake and myself to our favorite park to walk through when I realized I didn't have my wallet: I had put it on the stand next to my TV when I needed to get a credit card # so I could order one of those Ancestry.com DNA tests (they're on a Father's Day Sale for $59 thru June 17 instead of $99).

Yet, even though I knew the wallet was safe at home and I didn't need it for anything, I was worried more than warranted: in today's computer age, even the cops don't give you a hard time about license, insurance, and registration information if you're in an accident: they called mine up and printed it out before I had a chance to give it to them in my recent one, where I was rear-ended by a cellphone user, based on my car's license number.

So now, relaxing after the walk and sitting next to the wallet, I'm wondering what I was so bothered about by forgetting it and feeling sort of defenseless: maybe a long-established habit of knowing you had to have it while driving "back in the day"?  Or was it just knowing I couldn't buy anything on the spur of the moment - unless I went to Walmart and used my phone's Walmart Pay app?

Not so much with my wallet. I’ll iften leave it behind if my wife and I are taking jack out for a walk at the beach or such.  

My phone is a different matter.  In the Military or as a cop I’d much rather be without my weapon then my radio.  I think I have a weird fear going back to then.  Not sure how I functioned before my cell phone!?!?

Only once.  My wallet is typically in my purse with my car keys, so I don't leave home without having everything.  Except once I took my wallet out for some purpose and left it at home.  I noticed it just as I got to work and turned around and drove home to get it.   I did drive extra carefully on the way home.

1 hour ago, wilbur said:

No, but I operate two wallets with cash, cards and ID..  Two Canadian passports too.. 

Why 2 passports? ?

While in Canada, my greatest fear ...is actually not having my Canadian public health insurance card on me or my house keys.  Former is a form of ID....and it was critical when another cyclist crashed into me.  I taken by ambulance to hospital.  My partner and paramedic did rummage through my wallet to get that critical ID at emergency services at hospital.  I was unconscious for almost 4 hrs.

No I don't need to wear a Medic-alert bracelet at all.

42 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Why 2 passports? ?

While in Canada, my greatest fear ...is actually not having my Canadian public health insurance card on me or my house keys.  Former is a form of ID....and it was critical when another cyclist crashed into me.  I taken by ambulance to hospital.  My partner and paramedic did rummage through my wallet to get that critical ID at emergency services at hospital.  I was unconscious for almost 4 hrs.

No I don't need to wear a Medic-alert bracelet at all.

We often need Visa's so sending a passport away for two weeks would limit my ability to work.  Two valid and independent passports are the answer.  :) 

31 minutes ago, wilbur said:

We often need Visa's so sending a passport away for two weeks would limit my ability to work.  Two valid and independent passports are the answer.  :) 

I didnt know having two passports was doable, but makes sense.  I use to have a Government passport as well as my personal one, but i thought I was special

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I didnt know having two passports was doable, but makes sense.  I use to have a Government passport as well as my personal one, but i thought I was special

You just have to show a need.  If it makes sense, they will issue you,  two. 

• Heart 2

16 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Not so much with my wallet. I’ll iften leave it behind if my wife and I are taking jack out for a walk at the beach or such.  

My phone is a different matter.  In the Military or as a cop I’d much rather be without my weapon then my radio.  I think I have a weird fear going back to then.  Not sure how I functioned before my cell phone!?!?

Funny, I'm also bothered if I don't have my phone.  My car's Bluetooth Speaker Phone say's "Connected" after closing the car door activates it.  But if I leave the phone in the house it's still close enough to the car to make the connection to the Speaker Phone and generate "Connected."  Then, after I go down the road I hear, "Disconnected" and have to go back home for the phone: it's definitely a security device - like when my car was rear-ended in April.

• Heart 1