Orlando International Airport

Tizeye

Terminal B as you have never seen it before. Many of you have been here in your flights to Disney and other venues. Photo was in the local paper.

Not only is it deserted, but the skies are eerily quiet. It's great. I live along the flight path for runway C, which as the outer runway handles traffic that cuts over from the coastline (runway B would be straight in). I am right where they turn for final and are about 10,000 feet up receiving constant background noise given that OIA is one of the busiest airports.

Airport.jpg

• Sad 1

I got snowed in there once (destination flight cancled).  I rode the escalator up to the front desk at the Hyatt Regency (all those rooms up above) and began to enquire about a room for the night.  I was dressed in cargo jeans and towing a wheeled gym bag.  The doorman looked at me and said "I don't think you want to stay here".  Then they quoted a price for a room and I left like the road kill trash that I was.

• Haha 2

September 200I, was working a project just south of Memphis International Airport. Every morning FedEx planes took off in pairs every 30 seconds. Every afternoon they came back in pairs. After the FAA shut down the skies, it was absolutely amazing how quiet it was (especially on a construction site).

2 hours ago, Tizeye said:

Not only is it deserted, but the skies are eerily quiet. It's great.

I live 5 miles from one airport and within 25 miles of two others including St. Louis-Lambert. Walked for an hour yesterday and didn't see any contrails in near perfectly blue skies. I did hear one small prop job and saw a C-21 Lear Jet taking off from the military base.

Today again clear skies and I did see one contrail. Usually there's enough criss-crossed contrails that you could play tic-tac-toe on them.

40 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I live 5 miles from one airport and within 25 miles of two others including St. Louis-Lambert. Walked for an hour yesterday and didn't see any contrails in near perfectly blue skies. I did hear one small prop job and saw a C-21 Lear Jet taking off from the military base.

Today again clear skies and I did see one contrail. Usually there's enough criss-crossed contrails that you could play tic-tac-toe on them.

We haven't even been hearing the usual fighter jet traffic from Luke AFB. Training flights seem to be on hold as well.

This morning at 7:06 one of "my" C-130's came over the top of the house.  Perhaps Jerry or Wilbur could make a better estimate but I'm guessing 1000 ft agl at about 225 kts.  That's the earliest I've ever heard/seen one.  I grabbed the camera and waited for the second about 15/20 seconds later but there was only one this morning.

Wow! I have been to Orlando a couple of times and that’s one busy airport!  The LA morning news often shows the LAX cam and it’s dead there too.

I live near the runway of SNA and the air traffic is noticeably less.  Hell living in my neighborhood is downright pleasant right now with 75% of the traffic off the road.