Saturday started out lovely

petitepedal

Hot and humid here all day.

I spent a lot of time today looking for a cheap knife set because the block of knives State Farm's subcontractor furnished my apartment with are awful. They're just slightly serrated and the sharpener I have - which has a serrated knife slot - does nothing much for them.  It takes forever to cut an onion because you have to use so much force you have to be careful of the knife slipping and cutting your fingers.

ALL of the sets on Amazon that cost less than $299/12 knives in a block had multiple complaints about rusting, even the J.A. Henckels knives, mostly from people who also wrote "after just a few times in the dishwasher" where the item info says "do not put in dishwasher."  They all claim to be made from "high quality German Stainless Steel." I've left stainless steel knives sitting in water for a long time and never saw one become rusty, so I wonder about what kind of games they're playing in Chinese factories. Then again, I never use a dishwasher, either.

There were some decent sets for under $100 but most had small duplicates of some knives, but no boning knife.  I got an 18 piece set with block that had a boning knife and the other knives I wanted - plus a sharpening rod and scissors commenters said were worthless. But those who didn't put the knives in dishwashers said the set was durable and worth it: $79.98 after applying a $5 instant coupon that I see is no longer there a few hours later! - P.S. Maybe it's just not there for me because I already used it.

Then I used the chef's knife in the set after manually ran it through the serrated blade "V" in the sharpener 40 times.  Very slight improvement and no more with more sharpening.  But I managed to cut of 16 oz. of carrots, 12 oz. of celery and a large sweet onion (they occupied 2 quarts) for chicken soup the I pressure cooked in my Instant Pot. The soup was very good. Tomorrow it will be excellent.

image.thumb.png.3cb4c022dbb5bd062d3d0a0dcca52b8b.png

Here's the item with the $5 I used when I bought it a few hours before the coupon disappeared:

image.png.b0f57d5453336993f70a57445ea89d8e.png image.png.e997ad303f30efa7c4afb0663d49c928.png

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, 2Far said:

Had to work today, Monday was an extra day off for the project (I was in the office in ATL, another +60 hour week). 

92 and a little humid but a small breeze. 

How the heck do you put up with working all those hours??!! Haven't you made enough money to retire yet??

• Awesome 1

On 7/11/2020 at 9:30 PM, smudge said:

How the heck do you put up with working all those hours??!! Haven't you made enough money to retire yet??

Yeah, about that, I was talking to a guy (about my age) in the office the other day about that very subject. I was telling him that Wo2 & I made some terrible financial decisions a couple of times and they occurred at the worst possible times. Sometimes you make a bad decision, but it's mitigated by other factors, just didn't happen in our cases.

Wo2 has been retired for +3 years and she was on 1/2 time for +3 years before that. Me, I'm going out toes up. His wife just retired with a pension after +30 years as a school teacher

Right now I'm on 3 weeks at the project and one week in the office. The week in the office coincides with our week with the g'young'un. I'm currently in the 3rd cycle, & I guess I'll have 2 or 3 more cycles after this one.

• Sad 1