How did Willie Nelson get a doobie?

jsharr

He started smoking cedar bark, so marijuana was a step up when he started in 1954. He quit smoking it in 2019, allegedly, although still partakes in other manners.

"Willie does what he wants when he wants regarding smoking. There are numerous ways of consumption. He has not given up cannabis," his publicist wrote.

8 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

He started smoking cedar bark, so marijuana was a step up when he started in 1954. He quit smoking it in 2019, allegedly, although still partakes in other manners.

So should I change the title to "How did Willie Nelson get a Gummie?"

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

So should I change the title to "How did Willie Nelson get a Gummie?"

Well, the answer would be the same. Cedar bark-> tobacco -> marijuana-> gummies, cookies, brownies, etc.

I don’t know about you, but my middle school education regarding the dangers of cedar bark as a gateway drug was sorely lacking.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Well, the answer would be the same. Cedar bark-> tobacco -> marijuana-> gummies, cookies, brownies, etc.

I don’t know about you, but my middle school education regarding the dangers of cedar bark as a gateway drug was sorely lacking.

They made us watch Cedar Bark Madness in 8th grade. We thought it was hilarious, but I know a few kids that should have taken it more seriously. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

My gateway drug was grapevine.  We tried to smoke it back in the day.

• Heart 1

I smoked a joint with Willie back when I worked for the stage hand union in Athens, Ga. 

Well, I say that. He played a show at the Classic Center and after the show while we were packing the trucks he came out on the loading dock talking to his crew. There were about 12-15 people out there and someone sparked a joint, and then another one was lit, and that led to a 20 minute work stoppage as the bay filled up with people.

So, I’ve smoked a joint within about 15 foot of Willie while he was smoking a joint. And then someone yelled, get back to work!

We we’re hailed as heroes later that night in the bars.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

Looking at short-haired, suit-wearing pictures from the 60's when Willie wrote "Crazy" and Patsy Cline recorded it, etc. I've wondered if his rebellious lifestyle was initially a gimmick:  from long hair to old hats to a beat-up guitar where the sound box is worn open in places from guitar picks wearing at it to illegal drugs.  Having become very successful with that lifestyle, he may have figured that was the way to be going forward.

Trigger: The story of Willie Nelson's beloved guitar | Stringjoy

On 6/23/2021 at 3:29 PM, jsharr said:

the whole cosmic cowboy thing confuses me.  I mean his buddy Merle claimed that they did not smoke marijuana, at least not in Muskogee.

Willie was in Austin, not in Muskogee.   That, and he did have property on Maui.