Pfizer COVID Booster Shot scheduled for Monday!

MickinMD

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

I have a couple feeler gauges for setting the points.  I also have a few tools specifically made for working on drum brakes.

The year I got married, my roll away tool box was stolen from the lockup in the basement of our apartment building.  All of those special tools like the torch bent box wrench that just fit around the distributor base on a small block chevy engine were in it.  I never replaced them or the box.

4 hours ago, Dottles said:

I read a headline that the Pfizer shot doesn’t have endurance? Something like a 5-6 month coverage. But how the hell do antibodies stop remembering? I didn’t read the article but on the surface seems like BS. Anybody know anything?

It loses effectivity to about 50% at the 6 month mark.  So I read. 

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Dottles said:

I read a headline that the Pfizer shot doesn’t have endurance? Something like a 5-6 month coverage. But how the hell do antibodies stop remembering? I didn’t read the article but on the surface seems like BS. Anybody know anything?

“The effectiveness of Pfizer's Covid-19 vaccine steadily declines over time, dropping to about 84% for vaccinated people about four to six months after getting their second dose, according to CEO Albert Bourla.”

Overall, I think’s a mix of theoretical concern and statistics that may have many factors involved (like the delta variant). Even as antibody titers fall, protection may still remain. The immune system has memory cells, ready to activate if re-exposed, often years later. But it may not be as good, and for the high risk people it’s probably best to not chance it.  That said, 84% is still very good. And periodic booster for vaccines isn’t uncommon. Pneumonia and tetanus are two that leap to mind. 6 months is fast, but again I think we are erring on the side of safety here. 

On 10/1/2021 at 2:03 PM, Prophet Zacharia said:

What would you do differently? The target protein is the same.

The protein shape of the Delta Variant is different.  The current vaccines work against it because the protein shape is similar to the original main variant but would work much better if the vaccine included mRNA that replicated a strand of Delta's different shape:

"Ever since the delta variant of the coronavirus exploded in India in the first half of 2021 and now around the world, researchers have been trying to understand what makes this particular SARS-CoV-2 strain so transmissible.

Now, they're narrowing down the reasons to a few important mutations on the spike protein that seem to help the virus get into cells quicker than ever. One such mutation, called P681R, may make a crucial step in this process go faster. Another, called D950N, might change the structure of the spike protein so that it's more poised to alter its shape to fuse with a human's cells."

and

Q. How did Delta develop, and what makes it so contagious?

A: The Delta variant evolved through natural selection. Every time the genetic material of the SARS-CoV-2 virus is replicated inside a host cell – that is, a human cell within an infected individual – random mutations can occur that lead to a change in the structure and function of one or more of the viral proteins. When a mutation causes the virus to be more infectious, then that mutant will have an advantage over others and will be replicated more frequently and transferred to other hosts more effectively.

4 hours ago, MickinMD said:

The protein shape of the Delta Variant is different.  The current vaccines work against it because the protein shape is similar to the original main variant but would work much better if the vaccine included mRNA that replicated a strand of Delta's different shape:

"Ever since the delta variant of the coronavirus exploded in India in the first half of 2021 and now around the world, researchers have been trying to understand what makes this particular SARS-CoV-2 strain so transmissible.

Now, they're narrowing down the reasons to a few important mutations on the spike protein that seem to help the virus get into cells quicker than ever. One such mutation, called P681R, may make a crucial step in this process go faster. Another, called D950N, might change the structure of the spike protein so that it's more poised to alter its shape to fuse with a human's cells."

and

Q. How did Delta develop, and what makes it so contagious?

A: The Delta variant evolved through natural selection. Every time the genetic material of the SARS-CoV-2 virus is replicated inside a host cell – that is, a human cell within an infected individual – random mutations can occur that lead to a change in the structure and function of one or more of the viral proteins. When a mutation causes the virus to be more infectious, then that mutant will have an advantage over others and will be replicated more frequently and transferred to other hosts more effectively.

Mick, while the structure and function of the delta variant’s spike protein has changed allowing it to be more infectious, I don’t believe that the initial immune activation characteristics has changed very much.  Here’s a chart looking at immune response to the variants 5 weeks after the second Pfizer dose, with 94% of subjects producing neutralizing antibodies to Delta. While the antibody levels do drop over time, reaching the 84% level after a few months, it’s the initial robust reaction to delta that has lead to the booster strategy rather than a new vaccine variant.  I also wonder how quickly a new mRNA version could be swapped out, tested, approved and rolled out. Delta’s only been the dominant variant in the US for about 5 months now.

3AEA4AB6-B2B1-4AD9-96D8-B6619865485C.thumb.png.296ba38160043b1d214b4599d92679de.png

It's Wednesday AM.  The pain at the shot site in my shoulder is almost all gone.

The raspy voice is gone.  I feel a little dragged out, but that may be due to the rainiest day in a couple weeks.

And my body defenses against COVID have been boosted!

I get my flu shot on Oct. 21 when I also get my annual physical.

Now, to set up a regular program of 2000 Cal/day or less, resistant band workouts, walking, and cycling and I'll be on the right track!

7 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Mick, while the structure and function of the delta variant’s spike protein has changed allowing it to be more infectious, I don’t believe that the initial immune activation characteristics has changed very much.  Here’s a chart looking at immune response to the variants 5 weeks after the second Pfizer dose, with 94% of subjects producing neutralizing antibodies to Delta. While the antibody levels do drop over time, reaching the 84% level after a few months, it’s the initial robust reaction to delta that has lead to the booster strategy rather than a new vaccine variant.  I also wonder how quickly a new mRNA version could be swapped out, tested, approved and rolled out. Delta’s only been the dominant variant in the US for about 5 months now.

3AEA4AB6-B2B1-4AD9-96D8-B6619865485C.thumb.png.296ba38160043b1d214b4599d92679de.png

This is one of many studies.  Note that Israel is saying "Pfizer and BioNTech’s Covid-19 vaccine is just 39% effective in Israel where the delta variant is the dominant strain, according to a new report from the country’s Health Ministry."

I have also seen studies that say the antibodies work only 1/3 as well against the Delta Variant, but that 1/3 is more than enough to do the job.

I've also seen that there's conflicting evidence of how long antibodies remain at a high level, though the B-lymphocytes seem to stay ok.

In any case, I feel good about a booster but would feel better about a combo vaccine - just as the flu vaccine is aimed at 3-4 strains - that includes the production of delta protein segments.

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

This is one of many studies.  Note that Israel is saying "Pfizer and BioNTech’s Covid-19 vaccine is just 39% effective in Israel where the delta variant is the dominant strain, according to a new report from the country’s Health Ministry."

The table from Nature was very specifically about antibody titers over time. I don’t see that they define the “efficacy figure” at all in that article you posted. And they continue in that same article that:

“However, the two-dose vaccine still works very well in preventing people from getting seriously sick, demonstrating 88% effectiveness against hospitalization and 91% effectiveness against severe illness, according to the Israeli data published Thursday.”

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

They must not be very busy with flu shots as I just got off the phone making an appointment which is now 2:15 today at my local pharmacy.

I got mine last week. I heard on the radio this morning they are concerned about a decreased flu vaccination turn out this year and potential for rising hospital admissions as a result. I wonder if that is a “vaccine fatigue” within the public. 

I’ve done 3 covid, 1 flu and 1 tetanus this year. Shingles will be my last vaccination this year, with any luck!

40 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I’ve done 3 covid, 1 flu and 1 tetanus this year. Shingles will be my last vaccination this year, with any luck!

I did tetanus a couple years ago, so am good for a while.  Seems like 50+ is when shingles shot is recommended? Maybe that's at my next physical.  Might get the flu shot this year (got it once back in '06, but have no idea if it worked).  I think Dec/Jan for COVID boost. 

I got my info on the Moderna booster as well.  In CT if I was imuno-compromised I could get a Moderna "3rd shot" but since I'm only 75 I cannot get a Moderna "booster".

Hint it's the same shot either way but semantics and the law prevail.  Perhaps this is how DH got her third Moderna shot.