YIB

Parr8hed

6 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

A new water heater.  Boy, shark bite fittings are the shit.  Braided flexible water lines with 3/4" threads on one end, and 3/4" sharkbites on the other end are even better.  Getting the old one out sucked, but the new one went in like buttah.  

I have had two shark bites fail.  I would think about have the line’s soldered 

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I have had two shark bites fail.  I would think about have the line’s soldered 

27 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

My lines are all soldered. I trust that best.

18 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

We had one fail - no good can come of it!!!!

Absolutely not something I would use if I could avoid it.

Anything with the word "shark" in it has to be superior to some janky silver half-assed melted into your joints.  

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Anything with the word "shark" in it has to be superior to some janky silver half-assed melted into your joints.  

Luckily, our water heater is in a utility room next to the garage.  If it was to leak, no much would be ruined, as the water would run out through the garage.

• Heart 2

15 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Luckily, our water heater is in a utility room next to the garage.  If it was to leak, no much would be ruined, as the water would run out through the garage.

Mine is in a basement with concrete floors and a close drain.  I am just hoping that I would notice before my water bill went to infinity and beyond.  

• Haha 2

I have a couple in the unfinished basement ceiling when I ran a new water line for the kitchen.  I wouldn't put them in a wall.  I use PEX crimp ring fittings for that.  Daughter#3's boy friend is a plumber.  He uses PEX with a memory.  He has a tool to expend the PEX then slips on the fitting.  5 seconds later the PEX returns to normal size and he has a water tight fitting.   No crimp rings, no soldering.... and no SharkBites.

• Heart 2

I only used 2 sharkbites at my old home, when the copper pipes were in a horrible location, where I didn't think soldered a joint would be very easy.  At least it was beyond my skill level.   I was always worried about the sharkbite failing, it was in the wall/ceiling above the kitchen for the bathroom shower that was above the kitchen. 

All the other joint locations were soldered.   I replaced the water heater there at least twice (maybe 3 times), the water just ate them.   I soldered fittings, and then just used PVC to make the connection easy.  

We sold that home...  now I wonder how long before the sharkbites fail? 

• Haha 1

On the flip side, I have a Scout buddy who burned up a good portion of his house sweating on an outside hose bib.  Caught the insulation on fire.  Thought he got it all out, but did not and it slowly burned its way up the inside of the wall and when it hit open air in the attic, it TOOK off!  They had to rebuild most of the house, take all their stuff to be cleaned and deodorized and stored until the rebuild was done.  It was a mess.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

On the flip side, I have a Scout buddy who burned up a good portion of his house sweating on an outside hose bib.  Caught the insulation on fire.  Thought he got it all out, but did not and it slowly burned its way up the inside of the wall and when it hit open air in the attic, it TOOK off!  They had to rebuild most of the house, take all their stuff to be cleaned and deodorized and stored until the rebuild was done.  It was a mess.

Well there is always that!

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Like Dr. Mickin