Taco Tuesday PSA

jsharr

3 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

what is a street taco? Just a taco bought on the street?:dontknow:

Smaller tacos with less stuff on them. Usually meat, diced onion & cilantro and a bit of salsa.  I think the term did come from the style served by street vendors

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 2

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Smaller tacos with less stuff on them. Usually meat, diced onion & cilantro and a bit of salsa.  I think the term did come from the style served by street vendors

I like cilantro & salsa on tacos, I do this at home. First time I had cilantro on a taco was in Mexican town (Detroit). Good stuff.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

I haven't had tacos in a while.

My legs are sore today, so maybe I'll make a quick trip to Taco Bell to pick up dinner.

Today, my calves are sore from a long walk with Jake yesterday, my first one in a month.

There were people sitting on the benches near the parking lot where Jake and I start our walk, looking at the horses in the corrals of the Equestrian Center we walk through.  Folks at each bench we passed asked about Jake, my brother's 100 lb Golden Doodle.  I showed off my $1.47 shoes and said I was trying them out.

On the walk back to the parking lot, those people were now walking, so we crossed paths with them again and everybody petted Jake and asked how the shoes were holding up.

My $1.47 running shoes were very soft and springy to wear, though they felt a little loose around the heel - which might be because I need to tighten the laces a little.  I had originally loosened them because the shoes don't come in widths and I buy wide if possible. I think I loosened them too much.

• Like 1

I saw a recipe for slow cooker birria taco meat. We have a bottom round roast in the freezer. We may have to give it a try. And if you’ve never had a quesabirria taco with consommé….they have been my biggest “a-ha” moment on Mexican food here compared to what I could get in Grand Island. 

• Heart 1
  • Yum 1
  • Like 1

I grew up with crispy tacos.  Ground beef, lettuce, tomato, grated cheese, hot sauce.   Dad had special lettuce he would make.  Thinly sliced ice berg lettuce, tossed in vinegar, oil, Salad Supreme seasoning and Tabasco sauce.   It makes a boring taco special.  My wife and boys would always ask me to make the special lettuce on taco night.

Mom and Dad also fried their own taco shells.  Corn tortillas in a cast iron skillet with about 3/4" of hot oil in it.  Used tongs to form the taco shape.  Fried one side then the other.   That was always cool to me.  Dad would set the tortilla in the hot grease, the place the open tongs near the middle and use a spatula to roll one side of the tortilla up out of the oil and over the open loops of the tongs.  Hard to explain but made a great taco shell that was easy to load with filling.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Just now, Randomguy said:

Is is not a taco unless it is crispy. 

Mostly, but street tacos are hard to beat if done right.  Recently was introduced to sweaty tacos, also know as tacos de canasta and they were darn good as well.  These were small sealed tortillas full of different fillings, pork, beef, chicken, etc.  

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

I made tacos for dinner, all @jsharr's fault. Thanks :)

I got some too! One pollo, one asada.  I haven’t been here in ages and it looks like they discontinued the lingua (tongue).  These are traditional Mexican tacos AKA street tacos. 

IMG_0893.thumb.jpeg.f017bf86d79244a9abc3ec36b44c32f0.jpeg

• Awesome 1
  • Yum 3

7 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I got some too! One pollo, one asada.  I haven’t been here in ages and it looks like they discontinued the lingua (tongue).  These are traditional Mexican tacos AKA street tacos. 

Those look exactly like the tacos I had in Mexian town :) also like the ones from a local Mexican place. Delicious.

• Yum 1