I saw a badger today

Dirtyhip

It came running out onto the trail in front of us.  We followed behind it and gave it about 20 yards of comfort space.  We followed the little guy for what felt like 300 yards.  At one point it turned around and looked at me.  

Those things are not scared of people.  It looked feisty. 

What an experience.  They are so low to the ground.  :D

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Very cool! I’m not even sure I’d have recognized it

It took me a second or two to realize what was charging out.  I thought groundhog at first or maybe a marmot.  Then I saw the body better.  It looks like a rug with legs.  :D

When it turned around, I was slightly scared.  I thought it was going to turn around and charge at me.  

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

It took me a second or two to realize what was charging out.  I thought groundhog at first or maybe a marmot.  Then I saw the body better.  It looks like a rug with legs.  :D

When it turned around, I was slightly scared.  I thought it was going to turn around and charge at me.  

I cornered a woodchuck once on my road bike. It was at the top of a long hill. I was moving slow and he didn’t hear me till I was a couple feet away. He started to run away, straight down the road in front of me, decided he wasn’t going to make it, and turned to fight. 

That sucker looked mean, I swerved out into the road and gave him plenty of space 

6 minutes ago, Further said:

I cornered a woodchuck once on my road bike. It was at the top of a long hill. I was moving slow and he didn’t hear me till I was a couple feet away. He started to run away, straight down the road in front of me, decided he wasn’t going to make it, and turned to fight. 

That sucker looked mean, I swerved out into the road and gave him plenty of space 

Animal interactions are cool, when they go nicely.

5 minutes ago, groupw said:

Saw them a few times on rides in Nebraska. Always gave them space. 

For such a small animal, I bet it could take down larger ones.

13 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

Riding in different places is my favorite part of road trips. 

Getting out on a bike in a new place can be a blast!  Obviously, not all places lend themselves to safe exploration by bike, but surprisingly few places I like to go aren't also bike-friendly.   Cycling really lets you both cover some ground but also smell the roses.  

14 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

wasn't there a badger on the LF :scratchhead:

I met him when I was in Madison once. Nice guy, we rode together one morning. Met MadCity the same trip. I had to spend the weekend as my return flight was canceled as some idiot near Chicago started a fire at the FAA office. 

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

💞

A good correction.  I can't even count all the various kinds of wildlife I've seen over the years on rides.  We had a moose and her baby blocking us on a ride in Alaska (we waited until they wandered a bit off the trail to snack some more).  I've had to stop, stand around (after turning my bike the other direction aiming downhill), and watch a black bear hang out along the side of Skyline (if I was descending, I'd just have ridden fast on the far side, but climbing at single digit speed wasn't gonna get me passed him too quickly).  And, I've ridden over/bunny hopped multiple black snakes (disguised as cracks in asphalt) and even a groundhog.  Riding is infinitely surprising in what can randomly be seen while on a ride.

IMG_9829.thumb.JPG.d5ce2e13fed64aa17287a12be08b9270.JPG

12 hours ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

I met him when I was in Madison once. Nice guy, we rode together one morning. Met MadCity the same trip. I had to spend the weekend as my return flight was canceled as some idiot near Chicago started a fire at the FAA office. 

We went to HS together. Nice guy. I never did get to ride the event he organized, the Bear 100 I believe.

9 hours ago, dinneR said:

This one snuck up on me during a bikepacking trip. Scared the crap out of me. It came through the sagebrush and was about three feet away. 

0621181844.jpg

Yup.  Only he came trotting on to the trail only about 20 feet from me.  Such a memorable experience.  I really loved seeing his mask so close.  It turned around and looked right at me.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

That it BIG.  I wouldn't fear for my life, but I would steer clear of that one!

I was sitting on one of the logs. It poked it's head out and looked at me. I slowly backed away and grabbed my bear spray. It just trotted across the road.

My GF has one that lives in her backyard. It's den is about 20 ft from her back door.

• Awesome 2
  • Like 1