The letter in the mail I NEVER like to receive...

Bikeguy
Go to solution Solved by Kirby,

is from the IRS.   

WoBG and I each just received a letters from the IRS.   :frantics:     

Yeah I always  assume the worst.  Like I owe them thousands of dollars, etc... 

Then I opened my letter.  I owe them $0.00 and they accepted our amended 2022 tax return.

At first I didn't tell WoBG.  I mentioned great NOW what do we get to deal with?     Then I just told her.   I didn't want to awaken the wrath of WoBG.  Somethings you learn not to do after 41 years.

So what letter do you get in the mail that trigger lots of anxiety?

• Heart 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

is from the IRS.   

WoBG and I each just received a letters from the IRS.   :frantics:     

Yeah I always  assume the worst.  Like I owe them thousands of dollars, etc... 

Then I opened my letter.  I owe them $0.00 and they accepted our amended 2022 tax return.

At first I didn't tell WoBG.  I mentioned great NOW what do we get to deal with?     Then I just told her.   I didn't want to awaken the wrath of WoBG.  Somethings you learn not to do after 41 years.

So what letter do you get in the mail that trigger lots of anxiety?

I also got two IRS letters for my amended return but thankfully all is well.  Yes, there is always trepidation when opening an IRS letter, for sure!

• Hugs 1

I got one a few years ago for a five digit "owed" and almost peed my pants.

I immediately contacted my tax attorney, and he was able to resolve it with a prior year updated return that resulted in a small EXTRA REFUND for me!  I had been doing my own taxes for that prior period, and switching to a pro was the best "investment" I have made in a while.

My mistake that prompted the bill was not having a cost basis for an investment, so it looked like the taxes were owed on the full amount rather than the full amount MINUS the cost.  Scary, but a stupid error on my part, and Turbotax screwed me by not flagging it.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1

Just now, ChrisL said:

I had gotten a letter advising I had failed to register for the draft.  It came to: Private ChrisL MDW MP Co Ft Myer VA… 

I remember my Playoon Sgt had flagged that piece of mail, Gdamnit ChrisL why didn’t you register!?!?! Because I enlisted Sarnt….  He gave me the day off to go down & register!

I remember registering. Is that still something kids have to do?

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

My son had to so as if a few years ago yeah. 

Really?  I thought we still had all volunteer?!

Well shit!  Owl be a monkeys uncle!  From USA.gov

Who must register for Selective Service

Almost all men who are 18-25 years old and live in the United States must register for Selective Service. This includes:

U.S. citizens (U.S. born, dual citizens, and naturalized)

U.S. citizens who live outside of the country

Immigrants (legal permanent residents and undocumented immigrants)

Refugees and asylum seekers

Transgender people who were assigned male gender at birth

People with disabilities

See Selective Service’s full list of who is required and exempt from registering.

Penalties for not registering

There are consequences if you fail to registerwith Selective Service. It is a federal felony, punishable by fines or a prison sentence. And you may not be eligible for federal jobs, citizenship, or state-funded student financial aid.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, 2Far said:

My draft number came up as 23. I was already in. 

I thought I'd never forget my draft number.  :scratchhead:   I do remember I never won a lottery before or after the draft lottery.  I had a low number... maybe 18. :scratchhead:

Then they stopped drafting a few months before I turned 18.   

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I thought I'd never forget my draft number.  :scratchhead:   I do remember I never won a lottery before or after the draft lottery.  I had a low number... maybe 18. :scratchhead:

Then they stopped drafting a few months before I turned 18.   

I think I had something like 231, if that is possible.  I also was just after it ended.