Halfway through week 7

Parr8hed

a quick recap of where I started...

Oct 17 I decided that I was gonna ride 20 min before work every day.

At some point I decided to make that 30.  Then a little later I added in a 20 min weight workout after work.  Then I went to a program that I wanted to do, a 5 day intense,  heavy lifting program.  So basically 30 min before work, 30 min after.  I wanted to do that for 8 weeks (repeat that program 8 times).  A few more nights and I will have done that, not missing a ride or a workout.  Hell, I even added 20 min of yoga in the morning after every bike ride 2 weeks ago.  

I am very happy with where I am at.  I feel strong.  My only issue is achilles pain.  My heels hurt pretty bad when I walk if I have sat for too long.  I have an appt with PT today to try to work through that.  

So what now?  I like this setup.  Ride in the am, lift in the PM.  I think when I am done here I will take a week off the weights.  Maybe do a core class every night for a week then back to the weights?  Maybe I will try some different lifting classes.  I do like this program though.  

I have lost a few lbs.  10 or so.  But I can feel it and see the difference in my face in the mirror more than anything.  

• Awesome 4

The last pictures I have see of you you were looking good. Traveling with Emmy, camping, grilling, and enjoying your beer you were starting to look a little fluffy. 
It’s good to see you taking care of yourself.

I didn’t want to see Ironman turn into Staypuff marshmallow man. Keep up the good work.

I don’t always give Kudos to friends that post their Peloton workouts but I try to encourage you because I realize how hard it is for you to get out for outside rides/runs.

• Heart 4

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

The last pictures I have see of you you were looking good. Traveling with Emmy, camping, grilling, and enjoying your beer you were starting to look a little fluffy. 
It’s good to see you taking care of yourself.

I didn’t want to see Ironman turn into Staypuff marshmallow man. Keep up the good work.

I don’t always give Kudos to friends that post their Peloton workouts but I try to encourage you because I realize how hard it is for you to get out for outside rides/runs.

Thank you!

25 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

a quick recap of where I started...

Oct 17 I decided that I was gonna ride 20 min before work every day.

At some point I decided to make that 30.  Then a little later I added in a 20 min weight workout after work.  Then I went to a program that I wanted to do, a 5 day intense,  heavy lifting program.  So basically 30 min before work, 30 min after.  I wanted to do that for 8 weeks (repeat that program 8 times).  A few more nights and I will have done that, not missing a ride or a workout.  Hell, I even added 20 min of yoga in the morning after every bike ride 2 weeks ago.  

I am very happy with where I am at.  I feel strong.  My only issue is achilles pain.  My heels hurt pretty bad when I walk if I have sat for too long.  I have an appt with PT today to try to work through that.  

So what now?  I like this setup.  Ride in the am, lift in the PM.  I think when I am done here I will take a week off the weights.  Maybe do a core class every night for a week then back to the weights?  Maybe I will try some different lifting classes.  I do like this program though.  

I have lost a few lbs.  10 or so.  But I can feel it and see the difference in my face in the mirror more than anything.  

Good luck with your Achilles.  I found that having mine medically treated - one operation, one physical therapy - resulted in not having them hurt now and it was worth it.

After years of long distance running and marathons, I had surgery on the left one and physical therapy on the right one and both are fine now, with bicycling helping the healing.

They used to hurt the next day, after they were repaired, when I coached high school cross country and ran more the 3 miles with the teens.  Then, even walking a few miles resulted in aches the next day.  When I began bicycling 2-3 days/week, the lack of pounding the tendons into the ground with each stride let them exercise and heal and they're fine now at any distance.

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Good luck with your Achilles.  I found that having mine medically treated - one operation, one physical therapy - resulted in not having them hurt now and it was worth it.

After years of long distance running and marathons, I had surgery on the left one and physical therapy on the right one and both are fine now, with bicycling helping the healing.

They used to hurt the next day, after they were repaired, when I coached high school cross country and ran more the 3 miles with the teens.  Then, even walking a few miles resulted in aches the next day.  When I began bicycling 2-3 days/week, the lack of pounding the tendons into the ground with each stride let them exercise and heal and they're fine now at any distance.

mine really started to bother me towards the end of ironman training.  It is a tolerable pain now but I would like to be pain free, or at least close to it.  I have to stretch them a lot and be really picky about how hard I push on the bike and doing squats/lunges.  I really don't want to have to hold back.  

This is great.  It's good that you are feeling better.

BUT Dottles fitness threat is up to 8 pages.  There is the real challenge.  Remember, unlike your workouts, here, quantity is more important than quality.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

This is great.  It's good that you are feeling better.

BUT Dottles fitness threat is up to 8 pages.  There is the real challenge.  Remember, unlike your workouts, here, quantity is more important than quality.

Threatened by @Dottleshead??? Is he stalking you too hard lately?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

Is it achilles pain, or could it be plantar fasciitis ?  my heel pain would be worse in the morning when I got out of bed.  Buying shoes with good arch support took care of that.

• Heart 1

32 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

Is it achilles pain, or could it be plantar fasciitis ?  my heel pain would be worse in the morning when I got out of bed.  Buying shoes with good arch support took care of that.

They both present the same.  Heel pain.  But I think mine more related to achilles than plantar ligaments.  Fortunately treatment is the same.  Stretching, icing, etc.  I have a really good PT dude.  He will take care of it. 

• Heart 3

3 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

I like this setup.  Ride in the am, lift in the PM.  I think when I am done here I will take a week off the weights.

Awesome!  I think your schedule is great.  I decided to focus less on the resistance/weight training and more on the cardio stuff -- the only reason is I'm too phat and getting the phat off is more important to me than buffing up and putting the weight on.  I have another 40 pounds to go but my strategy will be to hit the weights when I drop another 15-20 pounds.  I can spend the next year after that trading muscle for fat.  But for now this phat needs to come off.  Keep rocking it Parr8hed.