What would you do?

12string

9 minutes ago, 12string said:

So now I'm wondering if he just swiped them off the beach one day and gifted them

Or someone did that in the store?  Ie swapped the more expensive chair (yours) into a less expensive chairs bag.  They left with the expensive chair scanned out via the cheaper bag's bar code?  Is the bar code on the bag or the chair?

• Awesome 2

3 minutes ago, Airehead said:

It is probably too long ago to do anything. Do you like the chairs? 

I didn't think there was a reason to inspect them immediately.  I don't know where he got them, so not sure if the store would do anything now.  They were Christmas gifts, He actually had them at his house until a few weeks ago.

I don't want to make him feel like he has to buy another chair, these aren't cheap!

• Hugs 1

@Razors Edge's explanation makes sense to me.  But even if your daughter and SIL caused the mix up, just ignore it and enjoy the chairs.  Peace in the family is a lot more important than a chair.

• Awesome 1

4 minutes ago, 12string said:

I don't know where he got them, so not sure if the store would do anything now

If your folks are like mine, they’re going to want to know if you like the chairs. At some point, you’ll have to let them know the chair was switched. Lots of stores have generous return policies. The way to know what to do is to talk to your kids. 

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Kirby said:

@Razors Edge's explanation makes sense to me.  But even if your daughter and SIL caused the mix up, just ignore it and enjoy the chairs.  Peace in the family is a lot more important than a chair.

It won't create acrimony, he'll run out and buy a new chair.  I just don't want to make him feel bad.  My daughter won't care, she'll be all "It still holds your butt off the ground, doesn't it?"

(We might have to wait until after memorial day when people head back downashore.)

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

So you can swap out with someone else’s chair? 

But be particular. Make sure it is the same brand as the duffle. Or better yet, leave the mis-matched duffle with them as you include the chair and duffle in the swap.

It's not at all uncommon for folks to purchase something, take it home and put something else in the package and return it.  Chalk it up to customer service departments that don't know what they are looking at for returns as well as the thieves who specialize in this.

The worst two I've seen were a cordless phone that upon opening up the box at home was a grimy well used phone of a different model and a number of off the shelf paint gallon cans from home Depot that when opened contained thinner with just a residual color of paint.  I was told that contractors often attempt to get away with this when returning "excess" after a job is done.