My Coffee Grinder Broke

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by jsharr,

...when I was attempting to grind my beans for yesterday's coffee.  The button just fell off and there is no ready access to the "guts" to fix it. :(  Second one to have that happen after many years of use. Luckily, the new model replaced that switch with a different one.

Anyway, had to pick up some pre-ground coffee to get me through, and while I don't mind it, it does mess with my morning habit and expected coffee experience.  I might be cranky today :dontknow:

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 4

5 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Time to abandon the daily grind and get yourself a real k-cup machine.

Keurig is teasing "biodegradable" k-cups!

I can't get past the taste of them. Like Nespresso a little more, but even that is not my thing.

25 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Can I get you a tea starter pack?  Tea is so much better, I think all reasonable people agree with this.

Oddly, I picked up some new tea when I got the ground coffee yesterday.  Some Earl Grey and an Irish Breakfast. 

• Yum 1

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

Might as well switch to instant.

That was yesterday morning's coffee.  I made sure to get out at lunch for the bag of ground coffee, and the new grinder arrives today, so I'll be back to beans for tomorrow's brew.

FTR, we do instant (Nescafe) when camping and not on shore power.  I'm fine with that, but we then need to add creamer and maybe even sugar :frantics: but if we have shore power, the coffee grinder and coffee maker are in play.

• Heart 2

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

That was yesterday morning's coffee.  I made sure to get out at lunch for the bag of ground coffee, and the new grinder arrives today, so I'll be back to beans for tomorrow's brew.

FTR, we do instant (Nescafe) when camping and not on shore power.  I'm fine with that, but we then need to add creamer and maybe even sugar :frantics: but if we have shore power, the coffee grinder and coffee maker are in play.

My mom and dad always used an old fashioned hand crank grinder and a percolated.

• Heart 2

23 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Here is my grinder of choice.  Holds 1 pound of beans and easy to adjust grind size and coarseness.

https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/appliances/coffee_makers/DBM-8P1/

This is the one I have as well.  I'm on my second one.  I got the switch wet on the first one and ruined it.  Remember kingtermite who used to be on the old LF?  I don't know if he was ever here, but he railed against this one.  He was a connoisseur of coffee and coffee grinders.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, a bunch of numbers said:

This is the one I have as well.  I'm on my second one.  I got the switch wet on the first one and ruined it.  Remember kingtermite who used to be on the old LF?  I don't know if he was ever here, but he railed against this one.  He was a connoisseur of coffee and coffee grinders.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, a bunch of numbers said:

I cannot bring myself to spend more than about $50 on a coffee grinder.   I wonder if I could tell the difference if I used a $250 one?  

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, a bunch of numbers said:

Drank coffee with him many years ago when I was on a photo shoot in the Olympic National Park. Think kindly about the folks I met on that trip and wonder how they are doing.

• Heart 3

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Grinder???? Way bigger than that!  

He's also an espresso guy vs a drip coffee guy.  I keep it simple (and cheap), he likes it complicated and expensive. :dontknow:

Coffee grinders, like children, are meant to be seen, and not heard.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

He's also an espresso guy

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

he likes it complicated and expensive. :dontknow:

Espresso is not complicated. Like most purchases, the cost of a machine fades from memory.

1 minute ago, Dottleshead said:

My wife couldn't find the decaf so she bought the regular because -- as she said -- "I was curious".  @Rattlecan was right.  The regular is a disappointment.  We are looking for the decaf to try.  Might order it online.

This guy tried the decaf.  

May be an image of 3 people

I would not chance it.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, jsharr said:

I cannot bring myself to spend more than about $50 on a coffee grinder.   I wonder if I could tell the difference if I used a $250 one?  

I have had a Mr Coffee grinder for several years, at least 9 now.  I took it to MN in 2019, so it only gets used in the summer. I got it for about $20.  

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

Blade.  Is burr better?

you can get a more consitent and precise grind and control the coarseness or fineness of the grind better.  But they are noisy and the grinding process creates static electricity, which can get a bit messy.  Not bad for me, as I just use a towel to brush the stuff into the sink next to the grinder.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

O.   M.   G.!!!!!!!

:frantics:

There is no such thing as a stupid question.  I only recently learned about burr grinders.  Let's talk him into buying one then figuring out how noisy and messy they are!  

• Heart 1