Replaced car battery

Dottleshead

1 hour ago, Dottleshead said:

Well after I just spent $2100 on a 100K auto service, I noticed my battery acting up.  I think it's a Les Schwab and had another 1.5 years left on the warranty.  But I'm tired of Les and wanted to go with an Interstate battery from Costco and put it in myself.  That was about $130.  It was a 4 minute job as soon as I found my socket required for the job.  That was a whole 'nother story.  So once I installed my battery I took the old one back to Costco to get my $15 rebate.  I like this policy.  That's enough incentive for me not to throw the old one in a pond somewhere.  When I get back out to the car in the parking lot, it fails to start. So I get out and check the battery and sure enough the positive connection is loose.  Not my fault.  The battery connector itself is corroded and as such it's very hard to get in there (even with socket wrench) and tighten so I decided to call my mechanic and have him replace the connectors.  I figure at this point, I've dumped enough money into the refresh that I might as well go all the way and have get a new battery and clean connections.  He's going to do it for $50.  I think that's totally reasonable.  Oh and also replaced my cracked windshield which was another $330.  So I have put some update money into this car.  I did so because I thought if I ever get laid off, it'll be nice to have a car serviced and not have it break down when I can't afford the repairs.  Also, because even if the job resurrects itself, it's a Toyota with just under a 100K and I plan on keeping it another 200K.  Cars seem to like attention and my money but in exchange, they usually treat me right. I'm into preventive care. Anyway, I'm off to get some new battery connections installed.

The end.

If you just hooked up the batter and the connection is loose? Whose fault is it if not yours? Neighbor kid?

$330 seems cheap for a new windshield. Are you sure it's glass and not some plastic wrap?

10 minutes ago, dinneR said:

If you just hooked up the batter and the connection is loose? Whose fault is it if not yours? Neighbor kid?

The connector was corroded. As my mechanic said, "It was time.".  I didn't have his professional tools but even those didn't work. Those parts wear out -- especially on a 20 year old car. The new one is better design and much easier to access.

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, dinneR said:

$330 seems cheap for a new windshield. Are you sure it's glass and not some plastic wrap?

I got two quotes.  One came in at $340 and the other at $300.  The lesser one was a mile from my house.  Small one man shop who has been doing it for 20 years. The reviews were good so I went for it.  I'll find out how good it really is within a couple years I suppose.  He did like it when I paid him cash. :)

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

The connector was corroded. As my mechanic said, "It was time.".  I didn't have his professional tools but even those didn't work. Those parts wear out -- especially on a 20 year old car. The new one is better design and much easier to access.

You don't clean them?

1 hour ago, Dottleshead said:

Well after I just spent $2100 on a 100K auto service

I just checked my minivan which just went over 100K miles. I'm all caught up on maintenance except for spark plugs. I was going to do it myself until I read the instructions and watched a YouTube video. For starters you must remove the air filter housing and intake manifold. Plus after the plugs have been in the engine for 100K miles, there's the possibility of breaking one off.

I scheduled an appointment for March 25th.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

I haven't, no.  Not since I inherited this car.  It never occurred to me really but now that I've invested in it, I'll get one of those magic spray dispensers.  What do you use?

For the green fuzz stuff, a can of Coke Cola works. A paste made of baking soda works better.

5 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

I haven't, no.  Not since I inherited this car.  It never occurred to me really but now that I've invested in it, I'll get one of those magic spray dispensers.  What do you use?

Baking soda and water. Takes about a minute.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I just checked my minivan which just went over 100K miles. I'm all caught up on maintenance except for spark plugs. I was going to do it myself until I read the instructions and watched a YouTube video. For starters you must remove the air filter housing and intake manifold. Plus after the plugs have been in the engine for 100K miles, there's the possibility of breaking one off.

I scheduled an appointment for March 25th.

I did the same!  Ultimately I decided my lack of experience and ambition probably would cause more damage than the money I was trying to save.  I feel pretty good now.  That car should be up to date for the next 100K.  I hope?

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

I've used the CRC stuff in the red can on that page. You want to clean the terminals before using it.

WoJSTL's old PC Cruiser had the positive battery cable rot through. It looked like an octopus with wires going all over the place. It was quite difficult to replace. Nothing like the old days where the positive cable went to the starter solenoid and from there a few other places.

5 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Nothing like the old days where the positive cable went to the starter solenoid and from there a few other places.

That's what my mechanic said.  He used to work on car electronics earlier in his career.  It used to be batteries lasted a lifetime because they just had to turn over the starter.  Now they have to supply all kinds of devices -- some which he said ran 40 minutes after the car shutdown.  He told me new batteries should be expected to last 5 or 6 years.  My Les Schwab one made it 3.5.

1 minute ago, Dottleshead said:

That's what my mechanic said.  He used to work on car electronics earlier in his career.  It used to be batteries lasted a lifetime because they just had to turn over the starter.  Now they have to supply all kinds of devices -- some which he said ran 40 minutes after the car shutdown.  He told me new batteries should be expected to last 5 or 6 years.  My Les Schwab one made it 3.5.

My Chrysler Town & Country has a hard drive in the dash that I can hear spinning many minutes after shutdown.

I figure 4 years is good for modern car batteries.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, JerrySTL said:

My Chrysler Town & Country has a hard drive in the dash that I can hear spinning many minutes after shutdown.

I figure 4 years is good for modern car batteries.

4 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

I expect three years. Remember when DieHards had a lifetime warranty? Now it's two years.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

I'm having mine replaced on Monday. $2,462.68

That's because you have a schmancy-pancy car.  Probably a unique design and even if it is not, they figure if you can afford this car than you can afford this windshield.

How often should you clean your battery terminals?

It's important to remove any corrosion that builds up on your battery terminals at least once or twice a year to help your car battery stay fully charged and ready to perform its job. By regularly maintaining your car battery, you ensure that starting the car will go without a hitch.

• Heart 1

34 minutes ago, dinneR said:

I expect three years. Remember when DieHards had a lifetime warranty? Now it's two years.

When you read the fine print on that warranty - it really wasn't a warranty.

I don't ever remember batteries lasting forever.  3-4 years tops.  Now the technology and manufacturing is better, even with the stuff that runs with the car off, 5-6 years is common.  (If you clean the terminlas)

51 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:
How often should you clean your battery terminals?

It's important to remove any corrosion that builds up on your battery terminals at least once or twice a year to help your car battery stay fully charged and ready to perform its job. By regularly maintaining your car battery, you ensure that starting the car will go without a hitch.

I have no idea where my battery is, somewhere in the trunk.

I have never cleaned the terminals.

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

I'm having mine replaced on Monday. $2,462.68

OEM for the 2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen was $520 a few months ago with insurance. I go OEM now as the others don't seem to last as long as the originals. Broken windshields are common here with gravel roads, even when driving on pavement.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

OEM for the 2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen was $520 a few months ago with insurance. I go OEM now as the others don't seem to last as long as the originals. Broken windshields are common here with gravel roads, even when driving on pavement.

My insurance sends replacements to Safelight.  Safelight let me go to BMW.  Safelight wanted about 1k, BMW wanted 2.5k.

11 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I have no idea where my battery is, somewhere in the trunk.

I have never cleaned the terminals.

It is an out of sight out of mind thing.  Just try to remember to have them clean it once a year when you take it into the shop.  :)

52 minutes ago, 12string said:

When you read the fine print on that warranty - it really wasn't a warranty.

I don't ever remember batteries lasting forever.  3-4 years tops.  Now the technology and manufacturing is better, even with the stuff that runs with the car off, 5-6 years is common.  (If you clean the terminlas)

I had a Firestone for a while that had a lifetime warranty. Worked for several new batteries, but then I moved and the locals did not want to honor the warranty. Not for sure they even make them anymore. It seems to be a crapshoot when purchasing batteries any longer, as different companies manufacture for the battery companies, and they change overtime. Batteries sold by Caterpillar seem to be one of the best here, but you need to know the size and specs you need.

2 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I had a Firestone for a while that had a lifetime warranty. Worked for several new batteries, but then I moved and the locals did not want to honor the warranty. Not for sure they even make them anymore. It seems to be a crapshoot when purchasing batteries any longer, as different companies manufacture for the battery companies, and they change overtime. Batteries sold by Caterpillar seem to be one of the best here, but you need to know the size and specs you need.

If you have a QR app on your smart phone, it's possible to scan the code at Costco and punch in your car make, model, and year and it will tell you immediately what battery size you need for your car.  I found the whole Costco experience to be very easy.  They charge you $15 extra which they will return to you on replacement.  It's a good incentive for you to take the old one back and have it disposed of correctly.

3 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

The jeep and ram have been totaled due to hail damage, but I keep comprehensive on the VW for potential hail damage and windshields.

My 22 year old car can't get comprehensive if I recall or it was cost prohibitive.  I just own liability on it.  Usually not a problem. Replacing that windshield was much cheaper than buying up for a comprehensive plan -- if they even offered it.  but for our 2020 RAV4 we absolutely have comprehensive insurance.

1 minute ago, Dottleshead said:

If you have a QR app on your smart phone, it's possible to scan the code at Costco and punch in your car make, model, and year and it will tell you immediately what battery size you need for your car.  I found the whole Costco experience to be very easy.  They charge you $15 extra which they will return to you on replacement.  It's a good incentive for you to take the old one back and have it disposed of correctly.

Maybe, but I don't like Interstate any longer, and we do not shop at COSTCO that is 150 miles west of us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

I was going to say, don't you guys have glass coverage on your insurance policy?  Mine is a $200 deductible.

I don't know anyone in WY that has glass coverage. Most companies do not offer it. You see a lot of cracked windshields here.