How many of you have thought about giving up cycling?

Randomguy

12 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Cycling has a level of danger that worries me.  I have had a number of accidents and after my son's recent run-in with a car, I would never recommend it to anyone.  If you want to do it knowing the dangers, then fine.  But I would never recommend to someone that they take it up as a hobby.  

This sucks. :(

On 5/22/2017 at 10:21 AM, Randomguy said:

I need a bike, and if you fuckers ever do decide to give it up or die, I would appreciate being put in your will or somesuch.

Thank you.  (I hope you find a way to ride your bikes, though, it is a shame to give it up)

... what size frame do you ride ? I know NYC is considered a hot (overpriced) market for used on Craigslist, but there have to be plenty of used bikes there that are suitable for exercise.

The up and down the stairs thing is more difficult, and it will disappear quickly unless you keep it in your apartment, but there are a lot of people who ride folders for that reason.  I have ridden folders heree, out of curiosity more than anything else, and once you get past how they look, they do seem to work pretty well (the slightly better ones).  If I had to ride indoors, on a trainer, I would quit biking and just go to straight up yoga.

It's all I can do any more to make myself swim,  and that's in a pool.  Bike trainer/roller miles are even more boring than swimming in a pool....kill me now boring.

Wheels is correct in that aerobic exercise as a form of depression therapy has a long and successful history, so you need to find something or you will descend into the darkness, pal.

• Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

... what size frame do you ride ? I know NYC is considered a hot (overpriced) market for used on Craigslist, but there have to be plenty of used bikes there that are suitable for exercise.

The up and down the stairs thing is more difficult, and it will disappear quickly unless you keep it in your apartment, but there are a lot of people who ride folders for that reason.  I have ridden folders heree, out of curiosity more than anything else, and once you get past how they look, they do seem to work pretty well (the slightly better ones).  If I had to ride indoors, on a trainer, I would quit biking and just go to straight up yoga.

It's all I can do any more to make myself swim,  and that's in a pool.  Bike trainer/roller miles are even more boring than swimming in a pool....kill me now boring.

Wheels is correct in that aerobic exercise as a form of depression therapy has a long and successful history, so you need to find something or you will descend into the darkness, pal.

Daughter #2 briefly considered a folding bike for that apartment reason, but luckily she is on a ground floor apartment now so her hybrid works well for her now.  I carried my road bike up and down 2nd floor apartment steps for 8 years and it did sort of suck.

No I haven't considered giving up cycling. We don't have a car, so cycling around to do certain things helps keep me on the bike.  I was in an accident where another cyclist collided into me.  I had concussion...

Over 65% of my riding is on cycletracks and protected pathway system.  We have occasionally made use of bus/transit train, ferry...with bikes for long distance hauls.

It's been this way for past 2 decades...and I've lived in 3 major cities over 1 million people each.  Other on road tends to be connecting roads and out of town bike touring rides on our own. Yes, we actively choose to live home near bike routes and paths/with cycling infrastructure...it needs to be a conscious decision.  We also have and ride folding bikes in addition to our hybrids.

For past decade, I don't like riding roads/busy streets often because of the distracted/texting driver trends.  

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I had big hopes that increased numbers of cyclists would make motorists more aware and accepting of road cyclists. Boy was I wrong.   I look at my road bikes daily and am starting to doubt they will ever be used in Ernest again.  

Both cell phones and smart phones are now solidly on the axxess of evil. :(

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I had big hopes that increased numbers of cyclists would make motorists more aware and accepting of road cyclists. Boy was I wrong.

It seems that more riders only equals more driver frustration with cyclists even being on the road.  Even when I am doing everything right, drivers still yell things at me.  Probably has a lot to do with where you live.

I think some national PSA's asking motorists to be courteous to cyclists might actually be of some benefit.

• Heart 1

Problem around here is the bitchin' hiking trails don't start drying up until late June and then you have a 3 month window unless hiking in mud is your thing. So biking wins as the more all around outdoor activity if you don't let some sprinkles get in your way. Hiking IMHO is far more seasonal.

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Daughter #2 briefly considered a folding bike for that apartment reason, but luckily she is on a ground floor apartment now so her hybrid works well for her now.  I carried my road bike up and down 2nd floor apartment steps for 8 years and it did sort of suck.

I hauled a fully loaded bike packing bike up the switchback stairs to the railroad tressle to get into Harper’s Ferry. Nobody told me the town was right at the other end of the tressle  just out of sight from where I was. If I go there again the bike will stay at the bottom and I’ll walk over.

2 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Last night, I thought about starting cycling again but you guys were mean so I drove to the store and bought some salt and vinegar chips and some fruit rollups. 

The only way I can see how this could have gone better is if you had picked up some moon pies, cheese.