Random Guy, You have met a lot of forumites..

Wilbur

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

How do the live versions compare to the online persona?  Who surprised you the most?  

That is a tough question, so much variety.  I am probably close to meeting 50 people from here and the LF, but I lost exact count when I got to the mid 30's.  

Some people are exactly as they seem, some are drastically different.  Some I have met in group situations where I didn't get anywhere near the amount of time I wanted to spend with them, and I have met a few when I had a sinus infections, colds, PRI or whatnot, so I wasn't lively at all.  Ralph and Phoenix I met when I was on death's door, for instance.  Some people are way more reserved in person, but you see elements like the quick minds or sense of humor, and you know they would loosen up if you saw them again.  Some people behave differently around spouses, too, due to any number of factors.

All have been worth meeting, though, it is nice to put a face to a personality!

• Heart 3

36 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

That is a tough question, so much variety.  I am probably close to meeting 50 people from here and the LF, but I lost exact count when I got to the mid 30's.  

Let's be clear, there AREN'T 50 people here or there (there is gone - R.I.P.).  

Tom

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Who surprised you the most?  

Honestly, it was Rick5234, but only because he was so different between visits.  I met him at the GLBC first time, and he was quiet and a bit withdrawn.  He was wearing a hoodie and baseball cap and was scruffy and not super talkative, mostly hunched over his beer.  A few years later, I met him and a bunch of other forum people in Youngstown while on the way to Cleveland.  I didn't even recognize him at first, it took me a while.  He was social and smiley and dressed in a button down shirt and looked kind of respectable even.  Not sure why he seemed so different, but he looked and seemed vastly different to me.

I wish he posted here more.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Honestly, it was Rick5234, but only because he was so different between visits.  I met him at the GLBC first time, and he was quiet and a bit withdrawn.  He was wearing a hoodie and baseball cap and was scruffy and not super talkative, mostly hunched over his beer.  A few years later, I met him and a bunch of other forum people in Youngstown while on the way to Cleveland.  I didn't even recognize him at first, it took me a while.  He was social and smiley and dressed in a button down shirt and looked kind of respectable even.

I wish he posted here more.

Me too.  I like his posts. 

I have met a good many folks and all have been very special in their own ways.  PP needs to come back when I don't have unexpected guests from England.  Kirby isn't green at all.  Couch loves the Airedales and I would trust him in an emergency.  @F_in Ray Of Sunshine Made the best food I have ever tasted.  Baron is a genius.  The list goes on and on.  @smarterblonde is confident and smart--- also not as very good snowshoe volleyball player as I remember.  

• Heart 1

Well, if one goes back in history, I did meet Sue from New Mexico, when we went there.  Her Down's Syndrome son was there too, having dinner with us.  I met Ellen(different nickname) from Toronto.

My partner almost met Phoenix chef in California.  However something got messed up in scheduling. Can't remember.  Anyway, being in Canada, makes the likelihood of meeting a lot you, a very low probability.  Unless you're drawn to Canadian mountains and then willing to drive out 100+ kms. into the city. 

I have met several amazing woman cyclists from another international, but female dominant cycling forum...2 from Vancouver, different ones from Washington state, New York. One of the cyclists was also a gifted portrait watercolour painter...she painted one of Prez. Obama ...1 month before he won his first presidency. It was featured later after I saw it,  in the Times Magazine.