Why have we not yet tamed wildfires?

Wilbur

12 minutes ago, 2Far said:

For the same reason we haven't domesticated feral pigs, they are smarter than us.

Well, a feral pig is just a domesticated pig gone wild! They decided the idea of being bacon wasn't offset by the free room-and-board on offer.

Tom 

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Not if you plow the trees and plant non-flammable pink flamingos and daisies.

This is what I am getting at.  In fire prone areas such as residences in SoCal, develop mandatory landscaping, siding and roofing bylaws to eliminate the spread of fires.  Maybe each house should have plumbed automatic exterior sprinklers?  How about fire hydrants by extended vertically in residential areas to spray like a commercial irrigation system?  There has to be a better way than just sitting watching losses year after year.

• Heart 1

50 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

This is what I am getting at.  In fire prone areas such as residences in SoCal, develop mandatory landscaping, siding and roofing bylaws to eliminate the spread of fires.  Maybe each house should have plumbed automatic exterior sprinklers?  How about fire hydrants by extended vertically in residential areas to spray like a commercial irrigation system?  There has to be a better way than just sitting watching losses year after year.

But that's why the people moved to Cali.  To get away from the overly bureaucratic political.......  Oh wait, never mind.

I say - sell them fewer matches.

51 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

If you want to solve the SoCal issue stop building homes in areas surrounded by chaparral brush. 

27 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

That's a little too.......... logical?

I know, what was I thinking. That stuff is made to burn. I’ve seen a fire race up canyon slopes through chaparral at I’d bet 30-40 mph. You’d never outrun it. Burning is how it regenerates, so unless you bulldoze everything around, you always have the risk of fire and if you’re gonna do the night just as well move to the desert.

Just now, Zackny said:

I know, what was I thinking. That stuff is made to burn. I’ve seen a fire race up canyon slopes through chaparral at I’d bet 30-40 mph. You’d never outrun it. Burning is how it regenerates, so unless you bulldoze everything around, you always have the risk of fire and if you’re gonna do the night just as well move to the desert.

And where it floods. And where there are regular hurricanes. And regular tornadoes. And those damn earthquakes!

I'm hoping those folks come to their senses and just return to NY!

Tom