Twenty Years Of Digital Photos

Razors Edge

...on my hard drive(s).  Anyway, last night we threw a trip from 2002 up onto the big screen and watched a slideshow.  Amazing how many memories you have and how many that are absent.  

I recommend folks try this once in awhile. Sort of like picking up those dusty photo albums we all had as kids. 

Tom

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

I have boxes of 35mm slides, I need to dig them out and set up the projector and screen and review old times.

Or get them digitized. Then review them on the big screen and as a plus, you will also have them preserved and easily shared.

Tom

We are in the process of putting to rest an old PC & laptop and have been backing up years of images.  Yeah we've been doing the same.

Watched a video of my son at around 10 years old hitting a bases clearing double. He stops at 2nd all cool & shit... then does a discreet fist pump a la Kirk Gibson.  I bout came to tears I was laughing so hard.

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Or get them digitized. Then review them on the big screen and as a plus, you will also have them preserved and easily shared.

Tom

What's the best way to do that? They used to sell a gadget you could plug in to your computer but I don't imagine there is much call for that anymore.

13 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

What's the best way to do that? They used to sell a gadget you could plug in to your computer but I don't imagine there is much call for that anymore.

We had a "negative slide adapter" or something like that years ago, but I really think it might be more of a "let Costco Photo do it for you" sort of thing nowadays. UNLESS you have a LOT of time (or lots of nudie photos you don't want shared).

Tom

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Costco Photo do it for you" sort of thing nowadays. UNLESS you have a LOT of time (or lots of nudie photos you don't want shared).

We don’t have a Costco but we do have a Walmart. I don’t think I have any nudies on slides, maybe a few bathtub pictures of the kids (those used to be ok to take).

Has digital been around for 20 years? Where has time gone. In my closet, in addition to my enlarger and darkroom stuff, have about 30 slide trays. Just can't seem to get around to scanning  them (and photoshop cleanup). Additionally, have the slides my parents took in late 50's, 60's and 70's with weird square film that fit in standard 2" slide frames. Started scanning them (and cleaning them up - particularly color) as wanted to create slide show and give to mother and brother and sisters for Christmas or something - but is it ever time consuming!

• Heart 1

15 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I have boxes of 35mm slides, I need to dig them out and set up the projector and screen and review old times.

It is particularly fun when the now grown kids are visiting with spouse, significant other, or even grandkids...and embarrass them!

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

It is particularly fun when the now grown kids are visiting with spouse, significant other, or even grandkids...and embarrass them!

That will be fun. The granddaughters have baby brothers now so they have seen “boy parts”. Time to show them their dad running around the yard naked as a j-bird.

11 hours ago, Tizeye said:

Has digital been around for 20 years? Where has time gone. In my closet, in addition to my enlarger and darkroom stuff, have about 30 slide trays. Just can't seem to get around to scanning  them (and photoshop cleanup). Additionally, have the slides my parents took in late 50's, 60's and 70's with weird square film that fit in standard 2" slide frames. Started scanning them (and cleaning them up - particularly color) as wanted to create slide show and give to mother and brother and sisters for Christmas or something - but is it ever time consuming!

I hope @Tizeye is announcing his forum return with these posts yesterday! Especially regarding photos, he's one of the "pros".

And, yes, scanning is one slow step. Correction is another HUGE & slow step. At least they can be done separately, and perhaps by two people working in tandem (one scans, another does the digtal clean-up).

Tom

Digital storage.  Keep in mind that digital storage is not lifetime storage.  I'm in the IT business.  We've all had those customers that picked up some digital media to restore and it was garbage.  Ask the maker of the DVD what the life expectance is on it and you might be surprised.  And remember that collection of old yellowed family pics from the 20's or 30's might be in bad shape but you can still enjoy them.  That CD of pics you stored in 2000 might just be toast.  And even if it's not, it will not last as long as those family pics from the 20's or 30's.

Generally, unrecorded (blank) CDs and DVDs have a shelf-life of five to ten years. The experiential life expectancy of recorded CDs and DVDs is between two and five years, though based on manufacturer claims, ten to twenty five years, or even longer, isn't unprecedented.

17 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Digital storage.  Keep in mind that digital storage is not lifetime storage.  I'm in the IT business.  We've all had those customers that picked up some digital media to restore and it was garbage.  Ask the maker of the DVD what the life expectance is on it and you might be surprised.  And remember that collection of old yellowed family pics from the 20's or 30's might be in bad shape but you can still enjoy them.  That CD of pics you stored in 2000 might just be toast.  And even if it's not, it will not last as long as those family pics from the 20's or 30's.

Generally, unrecorded (blank) CDs and DVDs have a shelf-life of five to ten years. The experiential life expectancy of recorded CDs and DVDs is between two and five years, though based on manufacturer claims, ten to twenty five years, or even longer, isn't unprecedented.

True, true, true.

I like to think (hope) that folks are constantly backing up and moving forward data from earlier devices, PCs, media, and HDs.  For example, when I rebuild a laptop or PC, I ALWAYS start with a fresh HD, and that old HD get's labeled and set aside. Essentially, it is a snapshop of my digital life up to that point. Additionally, all important files are moved onto that new build (sometimes new PC or laptop), but they will already be on a back-up drive(s).

Keep in mind, though, that media types also have a lifespan. Just like slide projectors are relics of the past, so to are other physical media like VHS, Beta, DVD, etc, and their new digital equivalent. For example, the MP3 format is an orphan of sorts and likely MPEG or WMV or other formats will be increasingly less relevant as new digital equipment becomes more and more popular. I don't know what the emerging VR or 360-degree image formats are or whether 4k and beyond will require a new jpeg or RAW or other standard.

To enjoy a photo, you merely need the physical copy. To enjoy a slide, jpeg, or DVD, you need the media PLUS the equipment to display it.

Tom

5 minutes ago, Chris... said:

Most online printers will let you print 4X6 at ridiculously cheap prices. Some even for free

Oh hush. I am trying to rationalize the purchase of a Canon PRO 1000 or Epson P800. I really NEED on of those 17" printers. Keep hoping my consumer level inkjet bites the dust, but thus far no luck.