NHL Playoffs

Prophet Zacharia

56 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I think the charge was obvious and should have been called with consultation from the linesmen, even if they weren’t sure where the impact landed.

I don't think it was really a charge, by the rules.  He didn't stride into him, didn't leave his feet until after contact.  The penalty was targeting the head, but it was kind of hidden at game speed.  Should have been a 5 minute, but I can understand how they missed the call.  Can't replay that.

2 hours ago, 12string said:

I don't think it was really a charge, by the rules.  He didn't stride into him, didn't leave his feet until after contact.  The penalty was targeting the head, but it was kind of hidden at game speed.  Should have been a 5 minute, but I can understand how they missed the call.  Can't replay that.

You’re right, I just saw the wide replay from the opposite side from my seats. I though he took several strides, but he was gliding. They could have at least blown the play dead as he lay there bleeding. I thought that was the plan after the criticism over how the refs mishandled the Wisnieki injury last spring, injuries to the face of head would draw an immediate whistle.

14 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Wilson gets 3 games. Lengthy explanation video from the league. Unfortunately, I fear that Wilson and the Caps will take the same perspective as their incredulous fans who all think the Caps are getting jobbed, which will prevent Wilson from reflecting on his dangerous play and affecting change in his game.

So much for the DoPS supposedly considering history.  I don't understand how some guys just consistently escape disciplinary action, which of course means less history, which means less disciplinary action...... but other guys get slammed for far less

His third suspension this season, with a LONG history of intentionally damaging hits, 3 games.  The league just told the caps to send a 4th liner out to concuss Crosby.  The DoPS is a joke.

So Oshie tries to accept the challenge jumping 4’ into the air to hit Letang in the closing seconds. Pens win 3-1 to even series at 2. Crosby moves to 12th all time in career playoff scoring, tied with Lidstrom. 2 points behind #10 Yzerman, 1 behind Trottier. Backstrom yelled “Fuck this league” and threw this stick like a spear against the wall as he headed into the locker room. Loser mentality. They feel that Tom was “taken” from them.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

So Oshie tries to accept the challenge jumping 4’ into the air to hit Letang in the closing seconds. Pens win 3-1 to even series at 2. Crosby moves to 12th all time in career playoff scoring, tied with Lidstrom. 2 points behind #10 Yzerman, 1 behind Trottier. Backstrom yelled “Fuck this league” and threw this stick like a spear against the wall as he headed into the locker room. Loser mentality. They feel that Tom was “taken” from them.

Reading Oshie's statements from the other day is evidence he is a douche canoe.  

There I said it.  Everyone was thinking it. 

Couch 

5 hours ago, Couch_Incident said:

Reading Oshie's statements from the other day is evidence he is a douche canoe.  

There I said it.  Everyone was thinking it. 

Couch 

Yeah he is. I don’t know if there is a single guy on that team that I have any respect for. Too much Caps culture can destroy even the best man, it seems.

Nashville evens it’s series. All series now tied at 2-2.* 

*Except for Tampa leading 2-1. ?

7 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Yeah he is. I don’t know if there is a single guy on that team that I have any respect for. Too much Caps culture can destroy even the best man, it seems.

Nashville evens it’s series. All series now tied at 2-2.* 

*Except for Tampa leading 2-1. ?

That's fucked up and obvious.  Lol! 

I'm just glad Geno is back.  He adds so much to the game.  And I still enjoy reading postgrame interviews with him.  I simply love the guy. 

Couch 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Crosby has been on the ice for every Penguins goal scored this series

Much as I despise him, he is having a monster playoffs.  I don't see them winning the cup this year, but if they do, it will be because he wills it to happen.

What did you expect Oshie to do?  The league told him it was OK to launch himself at somebody's head!  And reinforced it with no penalty call.  Highly doubt that he'll get a suspension, the league doesn't care if you try but fail to take a guy's head off.  Can't believe it, but the caps have become the more despicable team in this series.

38 minutes ago, 12string said:

Much as I despise him, he is having a monster playoffs.  I don't see them winning the cup this year, but if they do, it will be because he wills it to happen.

What did you expect Oshie to do?  The league told him it was OK to launch himself at somebody's head!  And reinforced it with no penalty call.  Highly doubt that he'll get a suspension, the league doesn't care if you try but fail to take a guy's head off.  Can't believe it, but the caps have become the more despicable team in this series.

You’ve grown to love us. :cheerleader::slow-dance-smiley::foryou:

And for for the record, the Caps have always done this. From Ovechkin blowing out Gonchar’s knee in 2009, Orpik chicken-winging Maatta in 2016, Wilson hitting Sheary with an intentional knee-on-knew hit, away from the play, as Sheary was gliding to the bench, to Niskanen cross-checking Crosby’s jaw last year. They get frustrated and they get dirty. Not chippy dirty, but dangerous dirty.

The quotes coming out of the Caps locker room are the same as always, they feel like they “deserve” to win. When they get outworked or lose due to inattention to details (like Ovie forgets his man on the back check, see game 7 2017 on two goals, and Game 1 2018, Sid’s goal), they get frustrated and cheap.

21 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

You’ve grown to love us.

Oh, God, NO!  (yes, that was a prayer, I don't want that fate!)

I have always despised Wilson and Orpik for their attempts to injure.  Ovie takes his cheap shots, but no more than Sid (remember him breaking both of Giroux's wrists on faceoffs in one series?).  I've always considered them rather innocuous as they just don't have what it takes to be serious contenders.  In large part due to their sense of entitlement.  Similar to my biggest complaint about Crosby, he also gets really cranky when things don't go his way.  But the difference between him and Ovie is that he'll eventually stop pouting and go change the way things are going.  When things don't go the Caps' way, they fold.  Which makes them useless as a rival to despise.

That was a hell of a game. Both teams played their best. Bruins knew they needed power plays to really capitalize, the certainly got em.

Marchand should be penalized for the licking antics. At this point it's just disrespectful to the league and the players. Enough is enough.

23 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I wonder how much an NHL ref costs these days, and why we aren't paying.

Remember, losers complain about the refs.

Pens/Capitals play one of the most exciting games I have seen in a long time. Two defensive miscues do the Pens in, final 6-3 with the empty net goals at the end. Caps take a 3-2 series lead back to Pittsburgh on Monday. 

Winnipeg goes up 3-2 over Nashville, and I believe it travels to WGP for game 6. 

VGK also up 3-2 after a game late on Friday night that I have no idea what transpired.

And no Krug for Boston the rest of the way, Boston tries to avoid elimination today in Tampa down 3-1.

As SW alluded to, Tampa moves to their second Conference Finals of the last three years. They look like the favorite to come from the East now. Pittsburgh has finally hit the wall, whether they make it past Washington is anyone’s guess, but they’ll have to find another gear to live on. Some stretches of really good play intermixed with costly mental lapses resulting in blown coverage and goal against. The Capitals, if they advance, will be so happy to have beaten Pittsburgh they will have nothing left to win. 

Vegas looking to clintch tonight, up 2-0 to start the 3rd.

5 hours ago, jsharr said:

I have a bad feeling that the Penguins are going to shake hands and make tee times 

Yeah, they ran out of gas. I think this was NHL regular season/playoff game 307 over the past 3 years. Emotional fatigue, they had no desparation left to give, and it showed. I didn’t see them getting past Tampa, anyhow, so that’s a lot of $ saved for me. 

Bolts in 6. 

• Heart 1

Crosby moves to a tie with Yzerman for 10th all time career playoff scoring. Baring (another) injury, he should finish his career no worse 4th, and probably 3rd behind only Gretzky and Kurri. He’s a better man than me, told Ovie to go get his Cup. Which draws into perspective that MOST of the players respect each other far more than most fans do. 

Caps players are celebrating “Free Willy”. I hope he blows out a knee before taking out a Lightning player. The game is better when skill players don’t get concussed. But it doesn’t matter, Caps are treating this series win like it’s their Cup. 

4 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Caps are treating this series win like it’s their Cup. 

Which may be there downfall.  Too much emotional investment to get past the Pens and nothing left to carry into the next fight.

I hope someone takes a run at Wilson, a clean, non head shot run, and cleans that boy's clock.

6 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Crosby moves to a tie with Yzerman for 10th all time career playoff scoring. Baring (another) injury, he should finish his career no worse 4th, and probably 3rd behind only Gretzky and Kurri. He’s a better man than me, told Ovie to go get his Cup. Which draws into perspective that MOST of the players respect each other far more than most fans do. 

Caps players are celebrating “Free Willy”. I hope he blows out a knee before taking out a Lightning player. The game is better when skill players don’t get concussed. But it doesn’t matter, Caps are treating this series win like it’s their Cup. 

One of the reasons I love the game.  The respect (most) players have.  Stupidity like Free Willie erodes that in a big way.  I hope the league realizes their mistake  and watches him like a hawk in the next series.  Which the caps will lose because they are overconfident punks.  what have they ever done to feel so entitled?.  Bolts should hand it to them.  They are about to face an actual test.

I don't buy the whole 307 games made them tired.  Seriously, these are highly conditioned professionals who had 3 months to recover.  By September, it really doesn't matter if you stopped playing in April or June.  I think the Pens are showing a bit of age, a bit of imbalance - especially on D.  They are still a very good team, but not as strong as they were the past 2 years.  The first round was not a test for them, facing a Flyers team that is still rebuilding, with a bunch of playoff newcomers and a weak tactical coach. 

Washington played a Columbus team that fell apart and a Pittsburgh team that wasn't really built to beat them.

I don’t mean physical exhaustion nearly as much as it’s been mentally draining. With the World Cup for Sid and Geno, they’ve averaged a game every third night since Oct 2018. Remove the summers (abbreviated as they were) and that is a pretty busy schedule. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Cup winners have gone out in the first round or not made the playoffs in recent years. “Double Cup hangover” is a nice problem to have, but doesn’t lead to the best hockey.

I don’t disagree that this team has defensive issues, but if they had a normal off season, they beat this Capitals team. They also would have won the Metro fairly easily. 

On 5/8/2018 at 12:46 PM, Prophet Zacharia said:

I don’t mean physical exhaustion nearly as much as it’s been mentally draining. With the World Cup for Sid and Geno, they’ve averaged a game every third night since Oct 2018. Remove the summers

Of course that should be since October, 2015.

Game 7 in Nashville tomorrow, then Bolts Caps Friday and alternating nightly. Glad there will be no more missed nights in the schedule.

Anyone watching this Game 7? Winnipeg is smoking them, 4-1. Soros came in at the 9 minute mark of the 1st period as Rinne lost it, again. 

I’m gonna say Winnipeg, as they were my SCF pick from the start. Although Vegas keeps proving everyone wrong. 

Tampa wins the Cup. Although I wouldn’t hate if anyone from the West does so, now.

Looks like the jets got this one, ahead by 3 now

I am a little torn.  I wanted the Jets to win, but I had picked the Preds in 7, and that would have gone with my picks of Vegas in six, Caps in six and Tampa in six(okay, missed that one by one game).

I am not sure on this round.

I wish Vegas and the Jets were in different series' and would meet in the final.  On one hand I  would like the Jets to win, because if you have ever been to Winnipeg, they need something to cheer for.  It is sort of the Toledo of Canada.  On the other hand, there is the story of the first year Knights.  

I think Tampa will win, in 6.  Which is weird because I picked the Caps to win it all.  It will be interesting to see if the Caps let up a bit now that they are over their hurdle that was the Penguins.  

I am going with Vegas in 7.  

10 minutes ago, 12string said:

Jets may get to the finals, but they will not beat Tampa.

Though I should know better than to think Vegas can't win.  I keep picking against them....

I like Vegas. Watched them almost as closely as my team but I'm with you. I keep betting against them each round. But once, if, they make it to the finals their Cinderella story ends with a loss to the Lightning. 

Lightning is going to show Washington what its like to go up against a top caliber team focused on the game. I did't splurge for tickets tonight, my usual section was over $800 a ticket, but I'll be outside at RiverWalk cheering them on!

• Envious 1

I'm hoping this was similar to the game one of us versus Boston. Too much time off and not enough hype. The PP kill needs to much faster. 

There were some crestfallen faces when I left the jumboTron at Amalie. There is still quite a bit of hockey for them to get their shit together. We've done it before and we'll do it again.

Just watching a bit of the start of the Wash/Tampa game.  This Hedman idiot going down like he had been shot in the face to draw a penalty is an embarrassment to the game.  If he wants to pull that crap he should play soccer.   Bullshit like this will make it hard for me to cheer for them.

• Heart 1

On 5/13/2018 at 5:12 AM, Prophet Zacharia said:

I am starting to think WPG, not Tampa is the favorite in the remainder of this post season. Especially if Tampa decides to take Game 1 off each series.

Winnipeg has been Don Cherry's pick all along.   If they win tonight, I may start to agree.

• Awesome 1