Old and the new

sheep_herder

4 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Why do they make you sad?

People basically give away an acre of land for each of them. They rent to the windmill company for something like a dollar an acre, but they have no opportunity to end the lease.... I don't know the details, but I heard about it from a guy who lived in an area close to some around here. He told us about what a crock it is for the landowner. 

I don't like them.

13 minutes ago, smudge said:

People basically give away an acre of land for each of them. They rent to the windmill company for something like a dollar an acre, but they have no opportunity to end the lease.... I don't know the details, but I heard about it from a guy who lived in an area close to some around here. He told us about what a crock it is for the landowner. 

I don't like them.

Ah, I see.  

44 minutes ago, smudge said:

I don't like them.

They just put up 40 in our town. Landowners are receiving $1000/month per windmill. One farm has eight towers. That’s not too shabby considering they only lose the footprint of the tower as usable land.

That disintegrating building, if it was a little sturdier, reminds me of some old homes on nice half- to one-acre grounds I saw in Northern Maine while vacationing with my brother-in-law while he visited relatives and childhood friends.  The for sale signs would say $25,000 to $35,000 and that amazed me!  It would probably take $30K to properly restore them - with mostly your own labor - but it would be the equivalent of a $500K home in Central Maryland.  Of course, you would find buyers for it in Central Maryland.

I told my late piano teacher, the virtuosa Frances Cheng-Koors, about it and she told me that one of her virtuoso teachers, William Doppmann, who was a highly paid pianist and conservatory professor, was a drinker and gambler and blew all his savings during his life, so when he retired he took his small pension to Maine, bought a cheap fixer-upper, and supplemented his meager retirement income by giving piano lessons from his home.

Below is my Piano "Family" Tree.  The only one I've met besides my teacher of a decade, Frances, is great, international award winning performer, conductor, and composer Leon Fleisher, who gave me two short, impromptu lessons while stopping by her studio to say hello to Frances, one on Chopin's "Prelude in E Minor" and one on Schumann's "First Sorrow," where he told me to play one passage representing anger, "like a pig slopping in the mud." Frances said Leon started touring at age 6, got little schooling, and is "dumb as a brick."  Still he knows piano! I played First Sorrow that way at a Peabody recital and was approached afterward by International Opera Diva Hyunah Yu, a Peabody graduate in attendance, who said she was moved by the piece!  Thank you, Leon!

He won awards all over the world and was the first American Pianist to win prestigious competitions and be named to Halls of Fame but, at age 29, he was afflicted with a disease that made it difficult to use his right hand.  After WW2 he wrote award-winning arrangements for pianists who had lost one hand in the war.  In the late 1990's, Johns Hopkins researchers found Botox would restore his abilities.  He soon recorded an album, "Two Hands," which won a Grammy Award!

Frances was a child-prodigy in Shanghai, escaped to the West when young, and became a major concert pianist in the U.S. and Europe. She became piano department chairman in the Prep Program of the prestigious Peabody Institute of Johns Hopkins University. Up to her death in January of this year, she attended the Mozart Festival in Salzburg, Austria each year and was one of the few pianists allowed to play on Mozart's own piano:

535392744_MickeyCashensPianoTree.JPG.773cb09b41f86ec3ebdb105823af3dc5.JPG

3 hours ago, smudge said:

I don't like them.

The landowner has a choice. They don't have to allow the wind turbines.

On average, rental payments for the placement of a single wind turbine lease can pay landowners up to $8,000 per year. Thus, wind farming can quickly become quite valuable, especially for larger locations that can host several hundred wind turbines.