I did not know this, did you?

Road Runner

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I did not know you were going to start this thread.

Someone wrote some unintelligible drivel in another thread and ask if we knew about it.  Once I realized I had no idea what he was talking about, I began to wonder what other things I don't know.  I have been on forums and the internet for many years, so it seems impossible that I don't know everything by now.   ?

• Haha 1

There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know. 

You can make fun of him for how he used it, but the quote was brilliant.

Donald Rumsfeld

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know. 

This thread is for the known unknowns.  Like the Vanna White thingy.  :)

When I was a junior in college, I had to study - as part of Inorganic Chemistry, Information theory. It's where you use what you know you don't know and what you know can not be true to estimate what must be the truth about something.  There are mathematical probabilities etc. where enough intersecting data points can sometimes give a really good estimate of the answer.  It's kind of like the old Sherlock Holmes dictum: "If you eliminate all that is impossible, what remains must be the truth."