Sometimes bees reject the Queen

AirwickWithCheese

5 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

We still love ya, cheese!  We almost had to replace you with jsharrt as well, you know, but you came back! :skipping:

I saw a YouTube video about bees rejecting a new Queen. It was very upsetting and sad. They should have given her a chance.  :(

• Hugs 1

5 hours ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

I saw a YouTube video about bees rejecting a new Queen. It was very upsetting and sad. They should have given her a chance.  :(

The bees could have just waited until the next queen bee election, but things in the hive can get very testy these days; what with the 24-hour bee news media and bees always on their tiny bee cell phones.  :(

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

The Queen Bee has to be a total slut.  Maybe she wasn't promiscuous enough to be a good queen.  :humping:

It's horrible attitudes like this that have destroyed western honeybee populations and reduced them to living in the streets of San Francisco like winos. 

• Sad 1
  • Envious 1

12 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

You guys are being very flippant. Young Queen bee in the prime of her life decides to give a unknown hive a chance at love and her reward is death. Worthless savages kill her because they don't like her perfume or hairstyle. 

Maybe she was a liberal vegan hippy bee and did not shave or use deodorant and just got what she deserved?

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

It's a very sad reality.  :(

Don't they reject one after a new one is somehow born - or else they reject the new one?

The beekeeper in my childhood neighborhood, Mr. Shipley, had several hives and occasionally a queen would leave the hive and thousands of bees would follow her and cluster on wherever she landed: a large tree branch, the side of a house, etc.  Mr. Shipley would come to wherever the swarm was with an empty beehive - and no personal protective equipment except a "smoker" to calm the bees with smoke - and somehow coax the queen into the beehive. The rest of the bees followed as if they were being poured through a funnel.

Mr. Shipley lived two doors away from me, had a large yard and kept several beehives. He did not wear protective gear when visiting the hives except for making sure his pants were tucked inside his socks and his shirt sleeves were rubber-banded shut - or maybe that's just what he made me do.  He would sometimes let me, accompanied by my father, help him when he used a smoker to calm the bees and collected the honeycombs and later he'd give me a couple pressed pieces of the combs to chew on.  The bees would get all through my hair and sometimes there would be a scary, few-inch cluster of bees at some place on my shirt or pants or arm, but I don't remember ever being stung during those times. Smoke sure calms them down!

All of us in our neighborhood stepped on bees in our bare feet, etc. and were stung multiple times. By the time we were teenagers, I don't think any of the kids in our block went home to have a bee sting treated because we were so used to it that I think we had developed a little bit of immunity - or else tolerance.

• Heart 1