Be careful out there - Big Sky, Montana

sheep_herder

A grizzly bear attacked and critically injured a man mountain biking near Big Sky on Monday.

Local authorities got a report of the bear attack just after 1 p.m. on Monday, said Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks spokesperson Morgan Jacobsen.

A man in his 60s was mountain biking alone on a trail on private property in the Spanish Peaks Community just above Ousel Falls Park Trail near Big Sky. 

Initial investigations from FWP show that its likely the mountain biker surprised the grizzly bear after rounding a sharp corner on the trail. 

"It does not look like a predatory attack," Jacobsen said.

The biker was able to escape the bear and walked to the South Fork Road where he got help from a passing motorist, Jacobsen said. He wasn't sure how far the mountain biker had to walk to get help. 

The man was airlifted to a Billings hospital and is in critical but stable condition, Jacobsen said. He sustained injuries to his face and back. 

The trail has been closed while the investigation continues. Game wardens are not actively searching for the bear.

The Gallatin County Sheriff's Office also responded to the incident.

Jacobsen encourages people recreating in bear territory to carry bear spray, recreate in groups, avoid areas with animal carcasses and look for signs of bear activity. 

• Sad 1

I'm not surprised the bear was probably startled.  One of the trails where I often walk Jake is full of White Tail Deer and I've also cycled there and surprised the hell out of deer on downslopes where I'd coast by without making noise.  Fortunately, they were at least 10 feet off the paved trail each time.

I never knew whether I should make a noise after I see the deer or keep quiet.  I've kept quiet.  Now I try to make a little noise rounding curves before I get into very-woodsy areas.

Here's one of about 7-9 deer that crossed the trail one-by-one about 50 yards in front of Jake and me (they see us enough they don't fear us much) on that trail) one day.

image.png.3aed3feb67b88e65452aff7e164b1443.png

2 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Yep, that is the one.  I thought you would remember the incident.

"Treat was estimated to be traveling at about 20-25 miles per hour, giving him only 1-2 seconds after rounding the corner to see the bear. The investigation found no signs of skidding or evasive steering, indicating Treat did not immediately see the bear and hit him at full speed."

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Bears are mostly afraid of us.  Bells prevent surprises.  

I think I want to install a spray foam canister on the handlebars, but for human bears.  

It's the ones that lose that fear are the ones that need to be put down.  Usually by some stupid idiot feeding them. Basically the creature loses it's life because it ate food given to it by a human.