My Peeps

smudge

1 minute ago, Philander Seabury said:

They were so nice and polite!  One to a customer, and no peckers!

Exactly! They choose just the right seed, and off they go. I like them a ton. I greatly dislike the blue jays; they are a gorging gang who empty the feeders in no time. 

• Heart 1

( sent the link to my niece who I knew would love it.  She asked how long did you stand there before the birds came?  Did you just go out when they were around and they came right away or did you have to stand there for a bit so they got used to you?

I actually thought the original thread was going to be about peeps and complaining that they weren't producing Halloween or Christmas peeps this year.  But I liked Smudge's thread better.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/13/business/no-peeps-this-year-production-pause-trnd/index.html

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, Kirby said:

( sent the link to my niece who I knew would love it.  She asked how long did you stand there before the birds came?  Did you just go out when they were around and they came right away or did you have to stand there for a bit so they got used to you?

When I get there, the red squirrels are first to get excited and sound the alarm. I haul a couple things in camp and then grab a bucket of seeds. I toss seeds on the ground out front of camp for the squirrels and chippies (the chippies might be tucked in for winter already). The blue jays realize what's going on, and they start squawkin'. Ugh... I go to the shed, get my ladder, and start for the feeders. By then the chickadees are starting to call. Once the feeders have sunflower seeds, the chickadees aren't interested in my handful of seeds. That's ok; it's just nice to hear their content chirping and the fluttering of their wings. We've also got nut hatches, and I see the juncos are back. 

The feeders are pretty low late in the afternoon/early evening. (I don't fill them fully) That's when the chickadees were ready for supper. There was a little group (flock?) of them checking out that one feeder. I decided to try my luck and offer seeds in my hand. Yup, they were fine with that. (I've done it in the past and even let DoSmudge2 do it; she loved it.)  After I got a few pics and the video, I dumped more seeds in the feeder. 

It's pretty easy up there. They don't see people as really scary, so I have lots of woodland creatures for friends. The squirrels and chippies get pretty close to me too, but not in my hand. No thanks.

The deer are quite leary, but that's fine. Kinda sad though when I'm just walking from one shed to another but they get scared and run from the feeder areas. Ugh, I'm not scary! Oh well.

• Hugs 1