would you live in an off grid wet cabin

jsharr

2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Too bad you missed the 24 hours Parody Cutoff.  This had great potential.

Did you factor in the fact that Canadian day is only 23 hours long?  Daylight savings time, time zone offset and the international date line thing, since Canada is another nation?

Also, when can you stop by and mow the lake for me?

15 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Please don't do this at home.  Resulting injuries give Parody Scoring a bad reputation and is severely frowned on by the Association of Parody Scorers Association.

Please stop.

He probably did not factor in the hydrodynamic drag coefficient.  Common rookie error.

• Sad 1

No way!  I had considered something similar, though.

There's an island (picture below) near the mouth of the Magothy River, north of Annapolis, about 1/2 mile from where it spills into the Chesapeake Bay, in turn about 1/2 mile north of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.  BEAUTIFUL area and protected from heavy Bay waves by Gibson Island, which covers most of the river's mouth.

The island had been abandoned with no buildings on it up to the early 2000's and had lost about 1/2 of it size to erosion over the 40 years since we kids used to swim the 1/4 mile from the mainland shore - in the distance in the pic below - to the island.  A cousin of a childhood friend in my neighborhood lived along that shore and I went there with him a few times every summer.

The current owner wanted to get rid of it for a song and I considered buying and building a house on it.

But then I thought about what a hassle it would be if I simply needed to run to the supermarket to pick up eggs for breakfast, spaghetti sauce for dinner, etc.  You'd have to have a boat either docked or in a sling above the dock all year and have a dock available to you on the mainland, near to which you parked your car.  And there might be a little icing-up of the river near the shore.  On top of that, it would take several years of work and some money to get the banks stabilized against erosion with large rocks locally called "rip rap."

And that was the end of that!

But, some guy bought the island in 2002, put rip-rap all around the banks to stop the erosion, and built the magnificent house below and a walkway to a dock area on the other side of the island with a small dock house.  The problem was he didn't get the permits he was required to get and the residents' Magothy River Association has been fighting him in court for two decades trying to get the house demolished.  It looks like their cases are going to either stay in limbo or die.

Saga of Magothy River mansion continues; environmentalists say officials  not making enforcement a priority - Baltimore Sun

18 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Erie used to have a lot of those in the bay. I think they are all gone now. They must have made them illegal.

They moved them to Horseshoe Pond. 

Horseshoe Pond is home to a small, 24-houseboat community. Since 1890, there have been houseboats on Presque Isle Bay and later in Misery Bay. Finally, Pennsylvania required all to move into the newly opened Horseshoe Pond.

• Awesome 1