Spoiler Alert!

Prophet Zacharia

1 minute ago, Airehead said:

This car deserves the spoiler shown. 

The more I’ve read about the car, the more amazed it’s on the road. I’ve seen it in my parking lot at work twice in the last month. This one is “new” to the owner, given the temporary plates. Ones I see for sale online often have much less than 10,000 miles.

For performance.. I'm betting it is show piece more than anything. Typically a spoiler does a better job when it is lower to the rear of the car in the area where it is getting the best downward pressure. That fit is sitting too high to really push the rear of the car down at the height of city driving.

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Are we talking about the Porsche, or the Prius? 

Well both really.. Porsche is "Oh look at me.. I'm fancy and have money" where the Prius is "Oh look at me.. I'm a vegan and don't know how to drive"

• Heart 2

Just now, Prophet Zacharia said:

I saw a Lamborghini SUV on the road yesterday. The “I have money” seemed to apply, but I didn’t get the “fancy” sense.

I understand the times change and vehicle companies need to try and better their product for people to want to buy it, but a lot of companies have totally lost the concept of what they used to be. 
The more they change their vehicles the more they change their technology and there is nothing a person can do to fix their vehicle without going to a dealer. Luxury vehicles are not even luxury anymore, they are just the "Look at me" status symbols. 

I'm gonna have to look up the Lambo SUV... I'm interested in seeing if it looks goofy

11 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I saw a Lamborghini SUV on the road yesterday. The “I have money” seemed to apply, but I didn’t get the “fancy” sense.

So it looks like they went from a low profile good aerodynamic vehicle to a semi aerodynamic lego.. 

5 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Maybe the use of “spoiler alert” wasn’t the best thread title for getting more than one car guy’s input!

I’m still trying to figure out the year of this car. The model is referred to as the “modern widow maker”… probably because of the 14 mpg city rating?

It's a Porsche 997 GT2 and like several series before it the name widowmaker was deserved.  First, it's a typical high horsepower, rear engine, rear wheel drive Porsche.  The weight bias is not what most drivers are used to.  The car has a high polar moment and can get the driver into a situation where the back end is coming around and more or less power won't stop the swing.  Second the car suffers from turbo lag.  You start to exit a corner and the boost lags behind your throttle foot until suddenly there is a lot more power than you felt like you were asking for.  Bang, around comes the back end.

The 997 did have Porsche's first generation traction control, but the first gen stuff sucked.

So, there you have a street driven boy toy, purchased by drivers without enough high performance Porsche driving experience with too much power for the available traction and a propensity for suddenly traveling back end first.  Widowmaker indeed.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, KrAzY said:

For performance.. I'm betting it is show piece more than anything. Typically a spoiler does a better job when it is lower to the rear of the car in the area where it is getting the best downward pressure. That fit is sitting too high to really push the rear of the car down at the height of city driving.

Wut?   :P    They put it up there to be in clean air and it generated 900 lbs of down force at race speed.

image.png.16fb19f24e5192543736d1e50587acba.png

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

At that height, it’s for roosting Pigeons🤫

You could stand on it in the staging lanes and watch the races.  :nodhead:  It was an aluminium extrusion with threaded rod ends at each end that allowed for the incidence to be changed.  The verticals were filled with beams that went through the trunk space and attached at the top of the rear spring hangers.  It was flat on top and upside down wing shaped.  Anything over 120 would pull the paint off the bottom of the wind.  Dodge repainted it several times for me.

• Awesome 1

28 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Sorry.  I was responding to the "modern widowmaker" part of the question.  the 997 was the "modern widowmaker"

Oh, yeah! Pretty much most of those 911 Turbo derivatives that are RWD seem like potential widowmakers - especially to the unfamiliar new owner or the "hold my beer" types.

2 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

…and drive my car super fast at the local speedway for kicks. 

My buddy has two Porsches. He is single, and middle aged, so he has the time and money to enjoy his car.  He drives the Cayenne as his regular "car', but the 911 is his weekend car, but more importantly, his track car.  It's a fun track car.

On 10/9/2021 at 1:34 AM, Prophet Zacharia said:

On a scale of Performance to Pretentious, where does this spoiler fall?

If you have to ask... you can't afford it.   :D

At close to 200 mph the wing will provide 750 pounds of downforce.    https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/a12499392/why-porsche-911-gt2-rs-is-so-fast-at-nurburgring/

I called the rear spoiler on my 1977 Camaro 'the snow catcher'.