Urban Meyer is sounding more and more like a tool every day

Randomguy

Former Jaguars kicker Josh Lambo claims Urban Meyer kicked him

Posted by Mike Florio on December 15, 2021, 6:34 PM EST

At a time when Jaguars coach Urban Meyer has an issue with current members of the team leaking unflattering things about him, Meyer now has to deal with a former member of the team who is on the record with a specific and troubling complaint regarding Meyer.

Former Jaguars kicker Josh Lambo claims that Meyer kicked Lambo prior to a practice in August.

“I’m in a lunge position,” Lambo told Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times. “Left leg forward, right leg back. . . . Urban Meyer, while I’m in that stretch position, comes up to me and says, ‘Hey, Dipshit, make your f–king kicks!’ And kicks me in the leg.”

So how bad was it?

“It certainly wasn’t as hard as he could’ve done it, but it certainly wasn’t a love tap,” Lambo said. “Truthfully, I’d register it as a five [out of 10]. Which in the workplace, I don’t care if it’s football or not, the boss can’t strike an employee. And for a second, I couldn’t believe it actually happened. Pardon my vulgarity, I said, ‘Don’t you ever f–king kick me again!’ And his response was, ‘I’m the head ball coach, I’ll kick you whenever the f–k I want.'”

Lambo, via Stroud, believes that other players saw and heard the exchange. Lambo did not disclose names in order to not involve them. Meyer, for his part, denied the claim.

“Josh’s characterization of me and this incident is completely inaccurate, and there are eyewitnesses to refute his account,” Meyer said. “[General Manager] Trent [Baalke] and I met with him on multiple occasions to encourage his performance, and this was never brought up. I was fully supportive of Josh during his time with the team and wish him nothing but the best.”

Lambo reported the incident to his agent, Richard Irvin. Irvin then contacted the team’s legal counsel the next day. It’s unclear what if anything was done about it by the team at the time.

The Jaguars eventually released Lambo after he missed three field goals to start the season.

Here’s what needs to happen. Here’s what should have happened from the get go. The Jaguars need to investigate what amounts to an incident of workplace bullying and violence, if the allegations are true. The NFL needs to get involved as well. This alleged behavior implicates the Personal Conduct Policy, which prohibits “violent or threatening behavior toward another employee or a third party in any workplace setting.”

Regardless of what happened before, something needs to happen now. The matter needs to be investigated (perhaps by an independent lawyer) and a decision needs to be made as to whether Meyer did what he’s accused of doing.

Also, the NFL Players Association should be demanding that these actions be taken.

It is weird to see what happens when college coaches have to deal with grown men who are millionaires mostly.  Meyer sounds like he has not adjusted much at all, based on this incident (if true) along with all the other nonsense of calling all the other coaches on staff losers, his field trip to Columbus to get grindy lap dances from a chick who is not his wife, in public mind you, when he should have taken the team flight back with his own team that just lost an away game.  He is really lucky he didn't get roughed up by the kicker, from my estimation.

I think one and done.

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Lots of reasons for successful college coaches not to turn to the pros. Although wasn’t Urban run out of Columbus for NCAA rules violations? Seems like a turd, to be honest.

I think the NCAA violations were minor.  He ‘retired’ due to health issues as I remember.

23 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Lots of reasons for successful college coaches not to turn to the pros. Although wasn’t Urban run out of Columbus for NCAA rules violations? Seems like a turd, to be honest.

In a place like Columbus, most folks will look the other way if a highly successful coach bringing national championships to town does a lot of stupid stuff.  You knew he was a bit of a diva going in, and would be anywhere else he would go, but it really sounds like he is imploding, at least a little bit.

23 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I think the NCAA violations were minor.  He ‘retired’ due to health issues as I remember.

Yeah, there were probably other things behind the scenes, too.  I wouldn't know, though, I am a fair-weather OSU football fan.  I like it when they do well, but don't pay much attention to it otherwise unless something notable happens in a big game with big implications.  I am way more of a pro football fan.

22 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

In a place like Columbus, most folks will look the other way if a highly successful coach bringing national championships to town does a lot of stupid stuff.  You knew he was a bit of a diva going in, and would be anywhere else he would go, but it really sounds like he is imploding, at least a little bit.

Yeah, there were probably other things behind the scenes, too.  I wouldn't know, though, I am a fair-weather OSU football fan.  I like it when they do well, but don't pay much attention to it otherwise unless something notable happens in a big game with big implications.  I am way more of a pro football fan.

The whole Zach Smith incident was a big issue his last season and it wasn't really behind the scenes.

5 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I think one and done.

Well, that didn't take long:

Urban Meyer fired as Jaguars head coach

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on December 16, 2021, 12:45 AM EST

Urban Meyer has been fired as head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars after just 13 games with the franchise.

Adam Schefter of ESPN.com was first to report the firing.

Meyer’s tenure with the Jaguars was a rocky one from start to finish with the number of off-field headlines about Meyer’s decisions and conduct far exceeding the team’s number of wins. His firing comes hours after a story came out from the Tampa Bay Times with former Jaguars kicker Josh Lambo said Meyer kicked him in a practice in August.

Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell will take over as interim head coach. Bevell served as interim head coach for the Detroit Lions last season.

“After deliberation over many weeks and a thorough analysis of the entirety of Urban’s tenure with our team, I am bitterly disappointed to arrive at the conclusion that an immediate change is imperative for everyone,” owner Shad Khan said in a statement. “I informed Urban of the change this evening.  As I stated in October, regaining our trust and respect was essential.  Regrettably, it did not happen.”

“Trent Baalke continues as our general manager and will work with Darrell [Bevell] to ensure that our team will be inspired and competitive while representing Jacksonville proudly over our final four games of the season.”

Jaguars quarterback Trevor Lawrence said Wednesday, prior to the Lambo story being released, that the drama around the team had to change. Meyer was the source of almost all of the drama surrounding the team this year. And now the change the team needed has happened.

• Heart 4

Ok, real question here...

If stuff like that kicking of the player mentioned, why don't you hear about the players beating the living crap out of coaches who pull that shit?   I know, coaches have the authority plus the ability to badmouth you to the rest of the league and all, but even still.  If you push a trained and aggressive athlete (even those kickers can kick the asses of many current coaches) enough, at some point they will deliver a forceful education to that coach.  Athletes defend themselves.  Hell, men defend themselves.

I can see abused being silent if it is a young high school kid or somesuch, but someone like Bobby Knight, for instance, should have had his ass handed to him multiple times.

I was watching the ESPN sports talk shows this morning and everyone is saying what a scumbag and terrible person he is.  He may be everything they are saying, but I can't help but feel just a little bit sorry for him.  To go from one of the greatest coaches ever to one of the most hated people in all of sports must truly suck.  The remainder of his life won't be very pleasant, I'm sure.  But what do I know?  OJ seems to be doing fine.  

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

I was watching the ESPN sports talk shows this morning and everyone is saying what a scumbag and terrible person he is.  He may be everything they are saying, but I can't help but feel just a little bit sorry for him.  To go from one of the greatest coaches ever to one of the most hated people in all of sports must truly suck.  The remainder of his life won't be very pleasant, I'm sure.  But what do I know?  OJ seems to be doing fine.  

Poor guy, must be suffering:

image.thumb.png.416f98b9c706de142a9f685a27fc0c20.png

10 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Money isn't important compared to everything else in life. 

Some people might think I have lots of money (relatively speaking), but anything above what you need to live on really means nothing.

I am taking donations beyond what you need to live on, just wanted you to know...  :nodhead:

You are right, though, but rich people like to be rich, that at least gives them freedom and options and they don't have to look for work  like normal folks.  "Well, at least I am rich"

Some small school will give him a shot to revitalize a program if he wants to do rehabilitate his image.  He is a good recruiter, so there is that.  I am not sure he might want to, though.

5 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Some small school will give him a shot to revitalize a program if he wants to do that.  I am not sure he might want to, though.

Maybe, if he feels he is being misjudged to some degree, he could write a book telling his side of the story or stories.  I'm guessing it would be a big seller, just to hear his own explanation for his bad behavior.  

• Heart 1

Sounds to me like someone got out of their element going from college to the pros. It has happened before and will happen again. Seems to happen in management positions fairly frequently. Some are smart enough to remove themselves from the situation before the disaster strikes. For others 'ego' will not let them back away. Just my opinion.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Sounds to me like someone got out of their element going from college to the pros. It has happened before and will happen again. Seems to happen in management positions fairly frequently. Some are smart enough to remove themselves from the situation before the disaster strikes. For others 'ego' will not let them back away. Just my opinion.

You are right, Meyer clearly thought he was untouchable, at least for a while.  I think he took a lot of heat for calling his coaches losers.  The kicker incident seems to have happened early on and just now got out, but is pretty embarrassing if true.

Jimmy Johnson made out ok, and a few others way back, too.  The pro players are just very different from college players and you risk losing the locker room with college shenanigans.   Some can adapt, others can't seem to.

5 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Jimmy Johnson

Jimmy Johnson transformed the way people thought about defensive football. Speed on D won championships at Miami and the Dallas. I’m not sure Urban Meyer ever had such a revolutionary impact on the game at any level, even with multiple championships.

Urban will have a fine life. He’s rich, and he’ll surround himself with people enamored with fraternizing with an ex-NCAA coach. 

On 12/16/2021 at 10:38 AM, sheep_herder said:

You opined well. 

Yesterday, NFL.com reported that Meyer apologized to the people of Jacksonville.

The son of a bitch only apologized for the losing season and that "we" didn't get it done - shifting some of the blame elsewhere.

He didn't apologize for the misbehavior that embarrassed and caused division in the team.

Asshole.