Help Me Decide

ChrisL

If you had a budget of $2K for a tubeless disc gravel/road “all road” wheel upgrade what would you like to have?  

Bonus hit and it was fat but not as fat as last year, but I wasn’t expecting what I got last year. 

So many options I’m having wheel overload…. But I do want light & strong so I know it’s gonna cost.  

12 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

If you had a budget of $2K for a tubeless disc gravel/road “all road” wheel upgrade what would you like to have?  

Bonus hit and it was fat but not as fat as last year, but I wasn’t expecting what I got last year. 

So many options I’m having wheel overload…. But I do want light & strong so I know it’s gonna cost.  

Zipp’s 303 Firecrest Tubeless Disc-brake wheelset

• Heart 3

4 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I would prob say custom build.  King hubs and whatever rims your prefer.  But I have been out of the game for a bit.  Surely there is something else out there now?

King hubs are back order… I am looking at custom but with DT Swiss hubs. Either 240’s or 350’s.  

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, denniS said:

Hed or Stan's. Hed has a number of options now depending on the width, weight, and strength you desire. Normally, you can buy complete wheels or rims and build your own. 

I was looking at building up a set with DT Swiss hubs & Stand Gral Carbon hoops.  Haven’t considered Hed.  I’ll ad that to the list.

17 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

I am not the best to answer this.  I went for moderately priced Fulcrum 5 for my new road wheelset. 

Are you racing on gravel?  would you need durablility?

Not racing but I do like light wheels and I’m a Clyde so I’m looking at carbon for the weight/durability aspect.  It’s going on the Ritchey which I’m hoping to shed some weight off of.

• Heart 1

59 minutes ago, denniS said:

Hed or Stan's. Hed has a number of options now depending on the width, weight, and strength you desire. Normally, you can buy complete wheels or rims and build your own. 

HED stuff has been great for me.  Do you have to spend $2K, or just want to?

20 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

And how much unnecessary "maintenance" does he want to do?

I would never get wheels with DT Swiss hubs, freewheeling decibels are distracting as hell.  I feel sorrow for those that have those hubs, profound sorrow.

25 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

HED stuff has been great for me.  Do you have to spend $2K, or just want to?

It’s the upper end of my budget  but no I don’t HAVE to spend $2K. I have been looking at Hunt wheels that are 1/2 my max.

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

It’s the upper end of my budget  but no I don’t HAVE to spend $2K. I have been looking at Hunt wheels that are 1/2 my max.

There are a lot of good wheels out there.  Not for nothing, but I have never heard anything but raves for HED stuff from literally everyone that has had them.  I would at least strongly consider them.

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I would never get wheels with DT Swiss hubs, freewheeling decibels are distracting as hell.  I feel sorrow for those that have those hubs, profound sorrow.

^^^this. I hear those guys go past me on the riverside MUP, and I think, "If they sound that loud to me, with my partial hearing loss, what must they sound like to the guy on the bike ? WTF ?"

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

^^^this. I hear those guys go past me on the riverside MUP, and I think, "If they sound that loud to me, with my partial hearing loss, what must they sound like to the guy on the bike ? WTF ?"

King hubs, too.  I don't get a glidy peaceful feeling when all I hear is jet engine whirring.

• Haha 1