Feet, Not Yards.

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by Kzoo,

I generally think of feet for measuring things.  Feet and then eventually miles.  I only really think of yards when watching football.  Of course, in the Tour, everything is metric, so they're talking meters of elevation and kilometers of distance.  I'm generally fine with using kms, but meters is always annoying as I'm thinking in feet for elevation.

I think that is a flaw of the metric system - no easy "foot" equivalent.  Damn those Commies and their wacky distance measurements.

• Heart 2

Then again.,... the US is just about the ONLY country that hasn't fully adopted use of the metric system.   It's being used here in just about everything except distance, speed, and temperature.  

Yeah there are a few others who have refused to change, but no one here could ever find them on a map  So I included a map for us (including me). 

image.png.c31888b4a360d09c11cf8541568394cc.png

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Then again.,... the US is just about the ONLY country that hasn't fully adopted use of the metric system.   It's being used here in just about everything except distance, speed, and temperature.  

Yeah there are a few others who have refused to change, but no one here could ever find them on a map  So I included a map for us (including me). 

image.png.c31888b4a360d09c11cf8541568394cc.png

LOL!  :lol:

Those goobers who made that map forgot to label Alaska as one of the countries not using the metric system!!!  :lol:

I multiply meters by 3, and that's close enough for feet in this context.

Distance is not too difficult for me to estimate. For instance, if there is 89 km left, here's  how I do it. This may seem complicated, but its not bad for rough math.

The conversion is 1 mile = .62 km.

I take the 8 (in 89) multiply by 6 which is 48, I round up to 49.

I take the 9 (in 89)  multiply by 6 and move the decimal (because of it being in the 1s spot) so 54 becomes 5.4, I round up to 6.

49+6 is 56 :D

89*.62+55.18