The Day The Music Died

Road Runner

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

On a side note about that song....

A doc I used to work with told me that he took an actual 3 credit hour class in his undergrad that was devoted exclusively to the meaning behind that song.  A whole semester class about one fucking song.  

When I was in 7th grade we had a class discussion on the meaning of that song. The teacher, Miss Joyce, a recent college graduate, thought for some weird reason that the 11 year old students would connect the song lyrics to the death of a popular singer in 1959, a date where most of us had not been born yet (this was in 1971).  We heard the song on the radio but had no way to discern its deeper meaning. 

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

A doc I used to work with told me that he took an actual 3 credit hour class in his undergrad that was devoted exclusively to the meaning behind that song.  A whole semester class about one fucking song.  

I once took a 3 cr/hr course that I devoted an entire semester to the movie 2001.  I learned more about that movie then I ever wanted to know.  Someday I will enthrall you with all the things you never new were going on there.  

On the other hand, probably not.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

When I was in 7th grade we had a class discussion on the meaning of that song. The teacher, Miss Joyce, a recent college graduate, thought for some weird reason that the 11 year old students would connect the song lyrics to the death of a popular singer in 1959, a date where most of us had not been born yet (this was in 1971).  We heard the song on the radio but had no way to discern its deeper meaning. 

In the lyrics above, I made one slight change;  February to January.  Buddy Holly died on February 3rd, Hank on January 3rd.  

Like McLean (apparently), I, too, was a paper boy in 1959 (1959-1961).  I remember delivering the paper on a number of occasions when it was, "bad news on the doorstep".  I always related to the opening lyrics of American Pie for that reason.  Losing Hank just brought it all back again.   

• Hugs 1

58 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Like McLean (apparently), I, too, was a paper boy in 1959 (1959-1961).  I remember delivering the paper on a number of occasions when it was, "bad news on the doorstep".  I always related to the opening lyrics of American Pie for that reason.  Losing Hank just brought it all back again.   

Get yourself a Cheerwine and a Moonpie and toast AWWC. I forgot that Fearless Leader @Square Wheels is in range to pickup Cheerwine and Moonpies now. You’ll assimilate real good there if’n you get yourself some. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Road Runner said:

But January made me shiver
With every paper I'd deliver

The actual song, of course is "February made me shiver."

Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and The Big Bopper were killed in a plane crash on February 3. 1959.

They are "The three men I admire most, the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost," in the song where, "They caught the last plane for the coast."

It's the date McLean considered the end of the Rock and Roll Era.

Of course, considering Elvis Presley, Connie Francis, early MoTown, etc. did a lot of similar rock and roll, including doo-wop, it wasn't really "the day the music died."

Similarly, memories of Cheese aren't dead either.  I think of him when I pull the cord and start my lawnmower for the first time each year.  He taught me how to tilt the mower sideways with he carburetor side down for around 20 seconds to flush the water-infected alcohol in the gasoline out and start the mower when it didn't want to start.

2 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

The actual song, of course is "February made me shiver."

Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and The Big Bopper were killed in a plane crash on February 3. 1959.

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

In the lyrics above, I made one slight change;  February to January.  Buddy Holly died on February 3rd, Hank on January 3rd.  

14 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Admittedly, it IS a long song…

• Haha 1
  • Like 1