-2 and snowing

petitepedal

2 hours ago, petitepedal said:

Except for about an hour or so early afternoon...it has been snowing since 8am

I expect a long slow trek home.

We get, on rare occasions, temperatures below 0 F but there's a saying in Maryland when it's below the mid-20's, "It's too cold to snow."

Whatever atmospheric combinations at to make snow, close to melting seems required most of the time.  Our worst storms are Nor'easters that come up the Atlantic coast, rotating counterclockwise as storms do, picking up moisture over the ocean and then seeming to come from the NE as the storm rotates back over land.  Maybe too cold doesnt' get enough moisture.  Other snow comes up from the Gulf of Mexico which brings warm air colliding with cold air.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Kirby said:

I don't think I've ever seen temps that cold! 

Currently -20F with wind chill of -45F. Think we had wind chills of -65F in 1968 in eastern South Dakota. South Dakota has been hit hard again with snow and wind. Check our Murdo and Vivian, SD on the web. Think they may have televised a bit of the problem on the weather channel.

• Hugs 3

5 hours ago, Kirby said:

I don't think I've ever seen temps that cold! 

January of 85 it was COLD here.   -29F and if you included wind chill -59F.    That was COLD.   That was a record low for us. 

WoBG and I had 3 cars then.  They were all parked outside.  WoBG's 66 Oldsmobile started.  We used that to jump start my 81 Z28 Camaro. 

Tomorrow night after (or during??) the snow, it will get down to -7F here.  That's 41 degrees below the normal low temp.  No dog walking on Friday.

32 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Tomorrow night after (or during??) the snow, it will get down to -7F here.  That's 41 degrees below the normal low temp.  No dog walking on Friday.

I was just out with all 5 of our dogs, but they did not stay out for very long. They know if they take care of business they get to come back to their warm crates.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

January of 85 it was COLD here.   -29F and if you included wind chill -59F.    That was COLD.   That was a record low for us. 

WoBG and I had 3 cars then.  They were all parked outside.  WoBG's 66 Oldsmobile started.  We used that to jump start my 81 Z28 Camaro. 

I went to college in Chicago. One January weekend in 1982 it was -35 and didn’t get much warmer than -25 the whole weekend. Freakishly cold. Roomie from Florida didn’t like it. 

• Hugs 2

21 hours ago, petitepedal said:

Yes you have...when you were here...the air temp was colder..windchill was pretty good as well

I recall taking a picture of the weather report at the airport because it was the lowest that I'd ever seen (and colder than -2) but I don't know if we beat sheep_herder's numbers.  At that level though, doubt I could feel s a difference!

st paul.jpg