I entered the transfer portal. I blame Mick!

groupw

My Sam’s club membership expires this month. I went there first because I knew them from Nebraska, they have good gas prices, and it was not too far off course from my work commute. 
However, over the last year, the lines at the gas pumps meant I often bypassed that savings (and a drive to Casa Grande provides even more savings), and I was only buying a couple items from there on a regular basis. 
We decided to check out Costco. We didn’t have one back in Grand island. I remembered a couple of @MickinMD’s posts and thought it might be beneficial. Right away, they were much more personable than the Sam’s staff. They let us walk the store before signing up. We saw several items that either Sam’s no longer carried or never had. Then the lady at customer service made a very convincing argument for upgrading to the Executive membership and their Visa card. I promise no spreadsheets (😁) but it looks like a good move for us. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 3

1 hour ago, groupw said:

My Sam’s club membership expires this month. I went there first because I knew them from Nebraska, they have good gas prices, and it was not too far off course from my work commute. 
However, over the last year, the lines at the gas pumps meant I often bypassed that savings (and a drive to Casa Grande provides even more savings), and I was only buying a couple items from there on a regular basis. 
We decided to check out Costco. We didn’t have one back in Grand island. I remembered a couple of @MickinMD’s posts and thought it might be beneficial. Right away, they were much more personable than the Sam’s staff. They let us walk the store before signing up. We saw several items that either Sam’s no longer carried or never had. Then the lady at customer service made a very convincing argument for upgrading to the Executive membership and their Visa card. I promise no spreadsheets (😁) but it looks like a good move for us. 

I hope the exec membership works out for you.  It's $120 instead of $60 for Standard Membership and gives you an extra 2% reward (in addition to the 2% cash-back if you use the Citi Costco Visa). That works if you spend $3000/year there.  I don't so I do the Standard Membership.  If you find out you don't like the Exec. Membership, you can get a refund at any time.

• Heart 1

We had a Costco membership while I was a debate team coach, buying lots of snacks and drinks for tournaments. The home goods packages have too much product for our limited storage, but we bought chicken, cheese, fish, vegetables, eggs, dairy, wine…scissors. 

I feel like Sam's = Walmart/Home Depot, Costco = Target/Lowes.

Also, as a two-person family, we have NEVER not (IOW "always have") gotten more back from the Executive Membership than the additional cost.  Only negative has been that they send a paper redemption check and you have to remember to bring it to the location to scan & redeem.  I'd rather a  it just automatically be deducted from my next purchase.