All the trees here in VA, except for the evergreens, are completely bare

Road Runner

4 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Oaks.  They like to hold on to their leaves.  I have a bunch in my yard and several still have about 15% of their leaves.  Some leaves will stay on until the trees bud in the spring.

Really?  I used to have an oak and it's leaves were gone by late November...   :unsure:

Just now, Road Runner said:

Really?  I used to have an oak and it's leaves were gone by late November...   :unsure:

Also, a way to identify a distressed tree is often that it is holding onto the leaves it normally would shed. A chemical is secreted in a tree that triggers them to drop their leaves. A broken, clogged, or otherwise impaired "artery" system prevents that chemical from getting to all the points on a tree.

This is what Google said:

As winter approaches, tree leaves stop producing chlorophyll. That exposes other colors of pigment, like reds and oranges. At that point, the branches also begin to develop their “abscission” cells. These are cells that scissor off the dying leaves and seal up the stem attachments.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Tree Leaves Didn’t Drop In Winter: Reasons Why Leaves Did Not Fall Off A Tree https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/tgen/why-leaves-did-not-fall-off-tree.htm

• Heart 2

4 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Oaks.  They like to hold on to their leaves.  I have a bunch in my yard and several still have about 15% of their leaves.  Some leaves will stay on until the trees bud in the spring.

Yeah we have a few oaks that hold on to their leaves here too.  

https://fpdcc.com/oak-trees-leaves-winter-marcescence/

We don't have oaks. These trees are planted in holes in the concrete or in the grass and are probably watered periodically by city workers. We had a very hot summer, that may have had some effect on the trees. Our poplar and ash trees still have a fair amount of leaves at home.

On 1/17/2023 at 12:46 PM, Kzoo said:

On the way to camp today I noticed many small oak trees that have some brown leaves on them. None of the other trees have leaves.