Crazy Winter

ChrisL

So our mountains are still digging from under historic snowfall, the roads leading up to the mountains are just opening to non essential traffic and now this…

An atmospheric river of warm tropical moisture is due to hit us in the coming days.  The higher elevations will get more snow, the snow that fell in the lower elevations will get rained on and will likely melt.   The weather heads are calling for flooding and mudflows in our mountains below 8K feet elevation.  (The previous storm dropped snow as low as 1K feet).

For those of us not in the mountains we get yet another storm with even more rain. Definitely a drought busting winter. 

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

Not good news for those in the path of more rain and melting snow. Mudslides are not a fun experience.

I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around what happens when 10’ of accumulated snow gets hit by a couple of inches of rain.  I don’t know that I have ever seen this happen to this extent in my lifetime.

25 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around what happens when 10’ of accumulated snow gets hit by a couple of inches of rain.  I don’t know that I have ever seen this happen to this extent in my lifetime.

Remember what happened North of Yellowstone last year, with rain on snow.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

An atmospheric river of warm tropical moisture is due to hit us in the coming days.  The higher elevations will get more snow, the snow that fell in the lower elevations will get rained on and will likely melt.   The weather heads are calling for flooding and mudflows in our mountains below 8K feet elevation.

Wow.  I guess when it rains it pours.

Weird Winter.  We normally get 17" of snow in Jan. plus Feb. In 2010 we had more Winter snow than Juneau Alaska.  In 2016, we had a 30" two-day snowstorm.

Now we've less snow than Los Angeles, 0.2" for 2023: the lowest Winter total recorded in the 131 years that the official location, BWI Airport, has been measuring snow for the Baltimore Metro Area.

6 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Weird Winter.  We normally get 17" of snow in Jan. plus Feb. In 2010 we had more Winter snow than Juneau Alaska.  In 2016, we had a 30" two-day snowstorm.

Now we've less snow than Los Angeles, 0.2" for 2023: the lowest Winter total recorded in the 131 years that the official location, BWI Airport, has been measuring snow for the Baltimore Metro Area.

Although technically correct let’s not think that downtown LA got snow.  It was the surrounding hills of LA  that got a dusting and parts of LA county in the mountains got several feet. 

We saw snow on even some of the lower mountains in our part of the valley. The only 1 I see with snow that the moment is 4 peaks. Water is flowing in the river washes, but not at levels that block the roads. 
I have an old high school friend who lives near Tehachapi. She said she hasn’t seen snow like this since the winter of 78 in Nebraska!