Getting wider.....

Zephyr

I have only been riding for about 9 years now on a road bike and always on 25mm tires.  I am going to have another go at tubeless after a long enough gap that I forget what it was line last time, but with my newer rims I am going with a 28mm tire.

Anyone riding 28s?  Thoughts?

Apparently 28 is the new 25, but I am skeptical.  I am keeping my 25s in case I don't like them

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zephyr said:

I have only been riding for about 9 years now on a road bike and always on 25mm tires.  I am going to have another go at tubeless after a long enough gap that I forget what it was line last time, but with my newer rims I am going with a 28mm tire.

Anyone riding 28s?  Thoughts?

Apparently 28 is the new 25, but I am skeptical.  I am keeping my 25s in case I don't like them

25 (near the max) on the road bike, and currently 44 on the gravel bike.  My replacement rear rim on the Tarmac might be able to handle a 28 due to the rim width going up, but until I need a new tire, I'm not bothering with trying one of the 28s I have hanging around the garage.  

I'm not sure if I'd notice the jump, but maybe if I added in tubeless to the equation, I would drop 20 psi or so overall, in which case I hope I would notice.

I doubt you will "dislike" the size, but maybe the tubeless "extra" set-up and maintenance will bother you.

I like 25s but my rims I bought, for my weight don't recommend 25s, even though I probably have 3000km on 25s on those rims.  

I dunno, we will see.

I had tubeless when I bought this bike in '19, and they worked really well for the first year, but once I had to replace a tire, they never sealed properly again, and I would end up having to pump up every morning, even if I only did a 20 mile ride.  They got to be such a PITA I threw tubes back in out of frustration.  We will see how it goes this time

• Heart 1

I've rode on 25s for over 20 years, I just now switch to 28s a year ago. I can't tell a difference, but if anything they seem a little softer ride over some bumps:dontknow: I'd fail the Pepsi taar challenge :D But I keep using 28s. I ride lower pressure by 10 psi, from 25s. I use tubes, and will not attempt tubeless w/ road bike tires and pressures. My friend had a heck of a time keeping them sealed after a puncture. He went back to tubes. Tubeless on my fat bike is good, my CX bike is ok.

• Heart 1

My bike came with 28s and I've stuck with them.  At this point in my life I'm happy to have a little more tire between me and the road.  And I'm sure their relative cushioning ability has contributed to the fact that going on 6K miles the wheels on this bike have never needed even the slightest truing adjustment, even carting my 235 pounds around.

(edit:  in my other thread I mentioned that the model of my bike is still available - but according to the specs it now comes equipped with 35s )

• Heart 1

The Stradalli is limited to 25. It had 23s when I bought it. The 25s are noticeable in a good way. 
I’m curious if I will be able to ride the Stradalli after I’m healed. The riding posture is a bit aggressive which I wanted when I bought it. Between the posture and the small tires, there may be some N+1 in n the future. 

I haven’t gone under 32 on my road tubeless but I don’t know if you will really notice a difference between 25 & 28.  I went from 32 to 36 and really didn’t feel a difference but I went with a very similar tire, just wider.  

I’d think that if you went from a lightweight racing/training tire to something more flat resistant or a much heavier overall tire you may feel a difference but the 3mm in of itself wouldn’t likely be felt. 

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

25's are pretty tight on the forks so 28 is a no go.  My gravel bike has 28's.  I like the 23's on the roadie. 

When I thought about going to 28s, I noticed they would probably fit. I called Cannondale, and 28s is the max size for the CAAD10.  I'm not sure what the max size is for my CAADX, but it came w/ 35s. It will probably accept 40s:scratchhead: